Hi, all. I'm 2 weeks 4 days past my lumbar fusion - L5-S1. Yesterday I felt something not quite right, and my husband found a raised section over my operative spot that was about 1 inch high and the surface size of a baseball. Of course the doc is out of town until next week, but the nurse explained that I have a battery underneath my skin that is a bone stimulator. She said the area around it was collecting fluid and would eventually be reabsorbed into the skin. She also advised me to keep a check out for fever and redness at the area and to come in if that was the case.
I had no idea about the battery - and although I asked a lot of questions, you don't know what you don't know to ask. Has anyone else had a battery underneath their skin? How long does it take for the fluid to be reabsorbed? How long does it work? Do you get it removed? Is it painful or dangerous if you don't get it removed? I can't imagine it being an office procedure if you do.
Anything you could do to help educate me would be most appreciated.