Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Surgery Pain

RenfieldRRenfield Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I'm back. Three weeks since surgery. Lower back laminectomy and fusion. Fusion was done with mesh and putty, not with pins and screws. The first week after surgery was pretty intense. What concerns me now is that I still have considerable pain. I was told I'd be feeling pretty good by week 3 and I could be easing off the pain meds. I have been feeling better every day, except for the last few days. The pain is a little different -- a sharper burning in my lower back. Not awful, just not as good as I'd hoped. Should I not worry so much? Is this pretty normal? Say "Yes." I have 3 weeks until I go back for my post surgery checkup. Maybe I was just hoping for too much too soon when I read about some people going back to work and driving after a week or two. Anyway, I appreciate any comments.

• three weeks post op is still so early! Is your fusion posterior, anterior, or both?

For me at 3 weeks, I was just getting my pain at a manageable level, waking during the night to take pain meds, and barely sleeping, or being able to get comfortable in any position.

So, from my point of view, you seem to be doing well. The pain is most likely the result of "angry" nerves after having been messed with!

Today I am 11 weeks post op. I was, irresponsibly, released to drive at my first post op. But I was no where near able to drive.

Are you in a brace? Have you started PT?

Hang in there! This is a very long journey, with many set backs. It is the one recovery that you can't rush!

We are here for you! Take care!
  • If you are worried just call your surgeons office and express your concerns to the nurse. They would know best if what you are experiencing is normal or not.
    I also had a lumbar fusion. I am almost 11 weeks post op. In my experience I was in quite a bit of pain for the first month. I am still on pain medications but I am able to take less now.
    Hang in there. There will be pinches and pains in weird places for a while
  • The burning feeling that you experience may have two specific areas of occurrence and includes the muscles and bony joints in the area. As the spine tightens, so do the adjoining ribs where they attach. Inflammation occurs as a result of the sensitivity of the joints. The muscles become further tender and tense between the ribs once the area is disrupted and is followed by larger superficial muscles. And therefore, both the muscles and joint tighten causing low grade inflammation of the entire area which is already at the disturbing mode. Its quite common with post surgical issues. Anti-inflammatories & cortisone injections might be helpful in reducing the pain. CHeck with your Dr.
  • I agree with jayhawk Its way to early So dont worry and take it easy. If it get worst then call your DR

• So, I guess the good news is that the discomfort I'm feeling is pretty normal. The bad news is that the recovery period is going to take longer than I thought. Still, after reading your posts, I'm much more relaxed about it. I really think I had been given the best case scenario from my doctors, so I was expecting much quicker results. In fact, it seems I have a more "normal" scenario, which is fine by me. Thank you to you all!