Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

More Neck Pain and now my legs hurt?

LumpyLLumpy Posts: 103
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
For the most part, I have had intermittent radiating pain from my C5C6 and C6C7 bulges and I have complained, whined, cried about that in plenty of posts before. But something has changed. I'm not sure what. As of this week, I am now having symptoms 24/7 on a pain scale anywhere from 5 to 9 with 8 being average. My neck at the C6C7 level "burns" for lack of a better term, and I have severe triceps pain, weakness in my arms and pain and weakness in my hands and fingers. All pointing to C6C7 IMHO.

Here is a new one, and I'm not sure if it is even related --my thighs ache and my legs seem weak for no reason --- no new exercises to cause the ache and no crush on some pretty girl to cause the weakness ;-)

I called my NS. I was already scheduled to have a CT Mylogram. The PA simply said, "We really need to get that test done." Makes sense.

I know the drill about loss of bowel or bladder control. No issues there. My question is has anyone had leg pain associated with cervical issues?

• Hey Lumpy,

Yes i have had leg pain that goes directly back to my cervical spine. This is a debate amount many surgeons some will say your legs have nothing to do with the cervical spine, while others will say it does. So don't be shocked if you get different opinions with this. You might want to read the articles here on the cervical stenosis and the symptoms associated with it. When is the mylogram scheduled for? Keep us posted as to the results of it? Take care.
  • Just to give you an idea of how tied in the c-spine is with the legs ...

I have a c-spine SCS and it covers the area from C-3 to C-7. I get stimulation from this in my glutes, hamstrings and calves.

I hope the doc can get you in for your CT Myelogram in a timely manner.

• Thanks for the responses. This has been such a long process to make so little progress. I don't have a date for the CT Mylogram yet. So far I have had kick and claw for every test. I think my ESI treatments are wearing off. I've taken a huge step backward this week. The neck pain is bad but the arm pain is worse. If they called me and said they could fuse today, I would be there.

I need to make a DR appointment. I always feel my best when I am at the Dr office. Ironic ;)
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I have issues with c3,4,5, and 6 and also had leg pain.
    I had arm, hand, and leg pain all associated with my neck. I had severe stenosis and when that was surgically corrected the hand and leg pain were gone the minute i woke up from surgery. Good luck and hope you feel better soon
  • It's my understanding that when it comes to spines, anything from the injured vertebrae down can be affected. My neuro is suspecting my lumbar for the pain I'm having on the back of my thighs - which could be true - but the pain coincides with my neck pain, not my lumbar issues. I'm glad it's not my job to figure it out!

• Sorry to hear about your pain.

I have c5/c6/c7 problems as well. Mild to moderate central stenosis, osteophytes, impingement...Sometimes it creeps and bugs the c3 nerve...Also hurts the left shoulder , back of bicep, and side of the ring and pinkie fingers. The doctor noticed less plump or muscle on the inner part of my left arm from my right. I do get pain/weakness in all fingers of left hand.

I also get the same areas of pain in the left leg. Left hip, back of leg, ankle, knee, and two outer toes.

I guess Ive been told the leg stuff is cervical related. Makes sense since the right doesn't have problems, but who knows.

So is the stenosis the culprit?
  • before i had surgery on my c4-6 discs my legs hurt terrible!! i didnt even know i had neck problems till 4 months before the surgery. blamed all my aches and pains from my job being a mailman. i had a lot of symptoms before surgery due to my cord being compressed 50%. so you could have many different symptoms due to your nerves being pinched!!
  • Lumpy I feel just like you. Yesterday my pain and aches went from a 2-3 to a 5-6 with spikes above that. I'm going to the PM next week to talk about ESI or a mylegram.

I was going to post a question today because I have two problems in my legs. For the past few days the back of my leg just above my knee has been aching like a muscle pull and my broken little toe hasn't gotten better after three weeks and the other toes are hurting as well.

Guess I'll be calling the doctor this morning to report in.....