Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

jar9206jjar9206 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in New Member Introductions
I am not new, I have been on registered for 5 months but I have never introduced myself. Soon after I found this site, a major life changed happened and I never had a chance to get on and really experience this site and hear from the people who are on it. I am 26 years old. I started having back pain at 21 and was diagnosed at 22 with DDD. It was crushing to hear that. I had gone through er visits over and over again for months, because I would go get some meds and then be fine for a few weeks. At one point I was given a combination of meds and had an allergic reaction to them, not fun to be in extreme pain and have skin rash on your face as well. Also put on steroids to reduce the inflammation, because really who thinks a 21 year old has the back of a 80 year old. Found a Chiropractor, NEVER AGAIN! Caused more damage than good. So finally made an appointment with a doctor I had found, got a referral, to the BEST NS EVER! I got an MRI. This whole time thinking "they will find out what the problem is and I will be right as rain again." No such luck. MRI showed a rupture and herniation.(L4/L5 L5/S1). And my doc told me it was DDD. I lost it. Right there in the exam. My boyfriend, now my husband, held me and let me sob. My doctor let me know the options and the game plan. I went through epidural shots, physical therapy, help but not enough. Believe me, surgery was not an option I wanted. Not at my age! I was driving, right leg disappeared(lol those who have experienced this know exactly what I am saying) I tried to brake and I couldn't get my leg to do anything. That was it! I scheduled my surgery and it helped. I am not completely better but I do have a life. I am in pain and exhausted everyday but I can take otc meds and be fine. I got pregnant 6 months post-op, I know not smart move. I had a textbook pregnancy. And nine months later, had a beautiful baby girl born via c-section. My doctors and I agreed, I couldn't deliver with my back. well that's back story. pun intended. :) Now I am stay at home and full time student. can't wait to meet some new people!

• Hi and welcome (officially). You seem to have such a positive outlook and that's half-the battle.

Congrats on your marriage and daughter!
    It also sounds like you had a successful back surgery. What did you have? Fusion or discectomy?

Anyhow, welcome.
    I had herniated disc (and DDD) at L5-S1 and bulging at L4-L5. I'm 3 months post op of a revision microdiscectomy on L5-S1 and realizing I won't be good as new (but then again I'm 41 so I guess unless they could get me back to my 20's, I probably was already not new anymore..ha!) but I'm doing well.

Having the forum here really helps remind me not to overdo it and to be mindful of what a back person deals with.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. congratulations on a successful surgery.. i hope you are only feeling better and better with time. make yourself at home and enoy getting to meet new spineys!! good luck! Jenny :)
  • I'm glad that surgery helped you. I have mild DDD and I'm unable to work. Just wondering what surgery you had? Best wishes for your studies. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN