Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

discectomy. ....pain? did i speak too soon?

salty444ssalty444 Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Had my discectomy on 5/12/10 and felt so good that It wad ad if I never had surgery at times.

Yesterday and today my pain is horrendous. I'm afraid I may have overdone it. I hope I didn't injure my back by being stupid.

Btw I have a 3 inch long incision not a 3 cm like I've been reading about:(

• Well it sound like you may have done to much.But again who haven't I to had a 3 inch scar. Just remember to take it easy. If the pain get worst be
    sure to call the DR.

• Yea... I'm being extra careful now. I really hope I didn't screw up my surgery
  • We've heard many times here that the anesthesia that they put in the incision lasts for a week or two and then, once it wears off, the pain get worse. This might be what's happening in your case - you're only 10 days out.

With that said, if you feel something is wrong, don't hesitate to call your surgeon just to make sure everything is ok. That's what they're there for. And it could simply make you feel better if your surgeon says that what's happening is normal.

Take care,
  • The first time I experienced a pain flare after surgery, my neurosurgeon told me that for the rest of my life I would get occasional pain flares. He said that it is a normal result of spine surgery and it is just something I will have to live with. The further away from surgery I get, the longer it gets between flares. What's good, is I can tell the difference between the acute pain of a new injury, and the "you've over done it" pain flare.

• Your scar is bigger because it sounds as if he did a traditional discectomy and not microdiscectomy (which they use microscopes sort of). The good news about that is that in general, I think, they have better vision and are less likely to leave a piece behind (which I believe is what happened with me but who knows).

Anyhow, the trick with the microdiscectomy/discectomy is to not let your body fool you. When you are feeling better do no overdo it. Keep following the rules. I would agree that week 2 you may feel a little bit increased pain.

Just remember to ice, walk frequently (not far, just frequently), no sitting for more than 20 mins (save it for meals), log roll to get out of bed, no bending, no twisting, no lifting. Try to limit your driving too.

If you are still concerned next week, call the doctor but in general unless you did something big like fall, get hit, or have an 'incident' where you know you reinjured, it could just be a flare up. Doctors will generally tell you they will wait until week 6 (or 3 months) to re-MRI.

I am 3 months out and have good weeks and less good weeks. I'm not on pain meds and found that if I get "loosey goosey' on the basics, I pay for it.
  • Every surgeon has their own specific set of post op restrictions. Please remember to follow your own surgeon's restrictions over any that you will find or that might be suggested on the Internet.

• I also had an endoscopic microD at L3/L4. I did not get the initial relief that lots of folks do.

I also thought that I had overdone it at about the 1 month point I was in more severe pain than my normal severe.

I went to my doc because I thought that I may have reherniated and he asked me if the pain in my leg went all the way down to my toes.

It did not. It stopped right below the knee. He said that if I had reherniated the pain would have gone all the way down.

So try not to be too stressed about it but you may want to at least give your doc a call just to be sure.

Good luck.