Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal cord stimulator question......

cbergensccbergens Posts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I need to ask a question of those of you who have a spinal cord stimulator. Does it help for 'burning' pain? My "pain" is really intense burning in my knee, leg and foot . I've already had a consult with my surgeon about getting a stimulator and just need to make up my mind. For some reason, I'm concerned that it won't help 'burning' but them I'm paranoid too. Please advise. Thank you.

• Hate to be evasive here, but the honest truth is for some it helps and others it doesn't. The only way to really know is to do the trial and see where things fall. I happen to be one of those people that falls in the middle.

• As Dave pointed out, it is a question that has no one or no right answer. For myself, yes it does help with the burning in my shoulders. Will it do the same for someone else? Only a trial will be able to answer that. Many people who suffer from CRPS formally known as RSD, find spinal cord stimulation to be effective for the burning pain they experience, however many of them also find after a period of time it becomes less and less effective. If you read about it on the multiple sites for Spinal Cord Stimulation and also CRPS, you will be able to get a better picture.

The only way you will really know for certain is if you go through a trial. Even though the trial leads are very positional, you should be able to get a good enough idea from it to make an informed decision with.

• It substitutes the nice tingling over the burning pain. I'm getting approx 75% relief. Have titrated off Fentanyl. I DO still get breakthru pain and can't help but wonder (Like the folks mentioned above) if the relief will begin to seem less and less as time goes on.
    But for now.....I love it. Absolutely.
    Both my legs (especially at the knees) were always on fire, constantly and NO amount of hardcore pain med could seem to stay above the pain.

Now what I seem to be facing is lower back pain and I'm only assuming it's because of the procedure itself combined with the fact that all the muscle tone in the back is GONE and I need to get it toned back up.
    If I put in 5 or 6 hours at my office sitting in a chair (even with pillows padding me), I still am in pain all the next day.
    So, I don't understand what's up with the back pain.

But the burning leg pain. Gone.
    When I turn the stim off for awhile, the burning invariably begins to come back within the hour.

Good Luck
  • I Have a quick question. You asked someone abt the unit Stim being between the shoulder blades. As i said before i just had mine put in on July 13th, and after a week i find that i have this feeling that feels like a ball between my blades. I am hoping that it was inflammation or that i moved the wrong way a twist or hpw i laid as it took some doing getting comforable in bed. It feels better today. Please tell me its normal. I had a T10 Lam and insertion of the St. Jude Spinal Cord Stimulator. The T10 is where they went in with the leads ending at the battery in the right hip. I had planned on calling the doctor tommorrow but i did not want to call if this is part of the healing process. Hope someone can answer my quetion. SLH
  • I had swelling at the lead insertion site after my initial implant surgery and even more so after my revision there. The second time the swelling was so pronounced, it was a visible lump when I was wearing a cotton t-shirt. It took a good month before the majority of the swelling subsided for me and now it only swells if I sit in the wrong kind of chair or sleep on my back.

I think your plan to call the doc is a good one. It never hurts to have them double check your incision.

Hope this helps,

• Thanks for you prompt reply. I really do appreciate your answer. I will call tomorrow and let you know the answer. I have an appt. for next Wednesday. I'm just hoping its something simple. Thanks again. SLH
  • Although I'm a lumbar, I had a large lump at the top of my incision where the leads went in. I just figured they had difficulty stuffing everything back in there. :smile:" alt=":smile:" height="20" />

• I called and I spoke with my Dr. and he says that the feeling is normal. It really helps to have someone confide in. Thanks again. SLH
  • SLH said:
    I called and I spoke with my Dr. and he says that the feeling is normal. It really helps to have someone confide in. Thanks again. SLH

Good to hear that you were able to get in touch with your doc.

It seems to me that with many things medical, in our desire to get some much needed relief and on the side of the docs wanting to give us some relief, certain details are left out. To me they are just those things that "come with the territory" and in the grand scheme of things, are no big deal. However, until we discuss it with the doc, there's no way to really know for certain what is a minor annoyance versus what is something that needs to be attended to. So it is always smart to contact the doc and the rep when you have concerns.

Glad things are okay.