Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

anyone experienceing this?

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
i had my plif surgery march 8th so not to far out
my back was not so painful at first but lately hurts more and hard to stand, the most proble are my legs, cant stand anything touching them clothing or touching, its like my nerve endinds are right on top at my skin. they hurt and burn 24/7. nothing i can take helps that dr. says its just my nerves wakeing up. feels like im worse now than when i first came home, its the leg stings and tenderness and every now and then like 5 times a day like someone sticking electricity to them scream out from the pain. any had these reactions to the PLIF + SI SURGERY? COULD USE SOME ADVICE
thanks debra

• Did the doctor order any nerve pain medication for you such as Lyrica? I had this problem after my cervical fusion and Lyrica helped me a great deal.

Best wishes,

• I had horrible pain on my low back, it felt like someon had poured hot acid down my back! Once I restarted taking neurotin, the pain was much better.

Are you seeing a pain management doc? If not I would start there. If so, keep going back and working with him!

Wishing you the best, I know you have had a rough time and we are here to help and support you through this! Hang in there and let us know how you are doing!
  • Not sure since I only had 2 microdiscecotmies but after the first one I had similar issue. I hated pants or any clothes on my back. I'd say it took a good 4-5 months before I said "Hmm, pants aren't bugging me too much"

I remember b/c I was depressed about going in for my 2nd surgery when I finally had relief from the incision. Luckily the 2nd go around the incision didn't bother met after 2 weeks.

Maybe just needs more time?
  • about something seeming not quite right. Ask your surgeon to do a new CT scan or MRI. Maybe you have too much movement in your fusion, maybe you are getting a little nerve compression from this. There are many many things it could be, along with just normal healing. But, you may want to find out for sure and ease your mind.

Have you done anything that might have "overdone" yourself?? After my first lumbar fusion, I jerked myself quite hard falling into a hole with one foot. I didn't hit the ground, but felt twisted and not quite right after that. Then, about 3 months postop, I did fall on my right hip. My pain increased and then after new tests, I wasn't fusing and had some cage movement.

I'm not trying to scare you, just wanted to share my experience. Lumbar fusions are major surgery and as you recover and start adding chores back to get more and more physical, your nerves can fire up. Are you walking some everyday? Walking on a flat surface regularly, keeping my posture good, helped some. Nighttime was when weird leg and foot things happened for me. I had horrible leg cramps and some sciatic nerve/hip pain.

Does your surgeon take regular xrays to check the hardware? I had a CT scan that was in slices, where each picture was a slice and it showed the bone and where the screws were (after my second posterior fusion). I have a screw that is all the way through the vertebra and sticks out a little on the other side. My fusion is now solid in my lumbar though. I still have some achiness at times and after sitting on a hard surface, like bleachers at school, my right leg goes numb.
  • june 8th will be 3 months ive had one appt. with my dr. they only took x-rays and said looks good see you in august(which i thought was to far away for an appt.) i have to call in every month to get my perscript filled each month of which is 2 10 hydros per day. its not cutting it with the pain i have daily, i have only seen or taled to the surgeon on my first time visit before surgery and once 2 days after surgery, the rest of the time i speak only to his nurse she say its my nerves wakeing up. and she says thats a good thing to have the pain. crazy sounding to me. there is no sleep from the pain no walking much feels like im carrying 2 30 pound jugs on each side of my legs at the knee when i walk. im so frustrated and there are days i felt better the day i came home after my surgery, than i do 3 months out.
  • In your other thread you say you went to a pain clinic before but didn't want to take what they wanted to give you and here your saying what the Dr, or his nurse, is giving you is not enough. Sounds like you need to go to a PM doctor and do what they say. 2 hydro 10's a day after 3 months is not a small amount of drugs in my opinion. It may not be the correct drug to be taking or may not be enough as we are all different in our pain threshhold. Sounds like you need to figure a way around the nurse or go to a PM doctor. For my first three back surgery's 2 different doctors had me off all pain medicine within 6 weeks. They just wouldn't write any more. I lived. My situation was not the same as yours.

I hope you are able to find a way to help yourself as it certainly isn't any fun to be in bad pain. I hope you find a Dr. to help you out.