Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Very Discourge

MLT01MMLT01 Posts: 172
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone,

I'm 9 months post ALIF/PLIF..I am very discourage for the past month I'm experiencing weakness in my legs..Feel like they are going to buckle..Walking and everyday task are a challenge. I have been going to the gym..I went the other day and I only lasted 5 minutes before I felt my legs giving out..

I have constant numbness in my toes and the pain is back in my lower back. Sitting for a while is also a challenge again..Has anyone else experience this. I went to the Dr today and he is scheduling me for an MRI.

spondylolisthesis at L4-5; stenosis,
Lumbar surgeries 1999 L4-L5
Lumbar staph infection 1999-2000"
Meningitis x5 in 1999-2001
Brain shunt 2000"
Brain shunt removed 20001"
ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09

• I had anterior and posterior spinal fusions in December and i am still in my back brace healing.
    I was fused this time from L5-S1. I have a previous fusion to L5-T12 - 12 years back.

But from the new surgery, i have some nerve damage in my toes and my leg feels like it will buckle too. It does some times but i catch myself from falling. Right after the surgery it gave out a lot more than it does now,
    Do you have nerve damage any where? I am not a Dr. but maybe strengthening the legs and the core may help.
    Good Luck
  • How many levels did you have fused? Just the one, or are there more involved? What are you doing at the gym? Are you just walking, using a treadmill, or are you trying to lift weights? When you have had part of your spine fused you need to be very careful to avoid injury to adjacent segments of your spine. It is also possible to have bad flare-ups just from inflammation and irritation around your surgery site, even months after surgery. I experienced about 4-5 such flare-ups in the course of my recovery. Generally, a medrol pack (about a 10-day course of steroids) and some Lyrica would take the pain back down to manageable levels again. Recovery from fusion surgery takes a long, long time. Please be certain you are not hurting yourself with the things you are doing at the gym. I wish you all the best.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I was going to ask if you went through physical therapy after your surgery to get your core muscles strong again. Working out in the gym can mean many things, but to me it wouldn't address core muscle strengthening. I've also been told that these core exercises need to be done for pretty much the rest of your life. I don't understand why some doctors make their patients do PT and others don't. Guess thats why I'm not a doctor. I also agree that "Recovery from fusion surgery takes a long, long time." You are right to have a doctor take a new look at things.