Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PMS back pain & hysterectomy?

cateyesccateyes Posts: 123
To all of the women who still have PMS, you know how bad our spines hurt when this time comes around. My pain becomes 1000 times worse and can last up to 10 days getting worse each day. So hard to live with! I had to see my PM yesterday and was late because of this very reason, I was in so much pain I could barely move. Once I got to the doctor I told him about it and right off he understood that it's much worse with PMS. Surprised me, I didn't think he would have a clue. Now he's pushing for me to have a hysterectomy. I'm in my early to mid 40's and don't plan on having any children. He says I could take hormones to counter the loss of estrogen. I'm seriously thinking about it, talking to my OB/GYN about it. Is this idea too radical? Would any of you do it? Do you think a Gyn surgeon would do this just to ease my back pain? Any input would be appreciated. I would really like your thoughts and opinions.

• Cateyes, I can only tell you about my situation. I suffered my entire life from heavy bleeding that sometimes lasted for 2-3 months. I was your age when I decided I had had enough. I had a hysterectomy -- what is commonly called a "partial" hysterectomy, although that is medically no such thing -- but left my ovaries intact.

Removal of the uterus (the "hyster" in hysterectomy) not only obviously solved the bleeding for me, it took away all of the cramps that affected my back as well. At the same time it preserved the important function of the ovaries, that of producing hormomes.

I have had severe neck and spine pain for most of my life, but I don't know if I would have opted for what people call a "total" hysterectomy (removal of the tubes and ovaries). Perhaps I might have considered removal of my uterus alone to alleviate severe back pain, but I don't know that I would have.

I just turned 50, and the past 8 years without the pain debility of severe bleeding has been a blessing. I still know when I'm ovulating, and I can tell when my body is naturally getting ready for menopause (oh yay). I do understand what it's like to suffer so much you just want to say "do the surgery already!"

Think long and hard, talk to your NS or PM and also to your gyn doctor.

Best wishes to you!
  • This a hard subject for a woman, but I have gone through two spinal surgeries in the past year as well as having 2 periods a month with brings on unrelenting back pain and cramps, making life pretty miserable.

Unlike you, I never really connected the 2, I knew when I got my period that my back pain was worse but I went to see my OBGYN after I started bleeding 1 week on and then one week off for several months in a row, I was done!!!

I had an ultrasound done and everything was normal, meaning that there was no cysts or growths causing the abnormal bleeding, in other words it was hormonal and not about to change, it would be my new normal. My OBGYN gave me several options, one being the pill....I don't want the pill, it makes me sick and I had a tubal ligation 11 years ago, so why mess with another pill every day, or be fitted with an IUD, urgh!!! why? Abalation is another option for bleeding, however as my doctor explained to me it will do nothing for cramps and pain, so no thank you............final option, a hysterectomy, removal of the uterus. I will have a laprascopic surgery first to check the ovaries, if they are normal, she will leave them alone and then the uterus will be removed vaginally. I will go through menopause at the normal time due to my ovaries being left, I am ok with that.

My hysterectomy is scheduled for June 14th, however I am only 2 weeks post-op from my Laminectomy so I may not be ready for the hysterectomy, and due to travel plans in mid July, I may have to cancel my surgery and wait until next summer when I have the time off work, which will be a huge disappointment for me, but I have to do whats safe.

Anyway, my point is...its a very personal decision as a woman, and also your OBGYN has to be on board because they will not do a hysterectomy just because, if you know what I mean. The best thing you can do is make an appointment with your OBGYN and discuss your issues and what treatment options they give you. Only your doctor can really decide if they think this a medically necessary procedure for you. I have had problems with my periods for years and they refused to even discuss a hysterectomy with me before, but I am grateful now for the opportunity to proceed with this operation (if I can!!).

I have 3 beautiful children, so I am comfortable moving forward knowing that this will permanently end my child bearing years, I am 40............its a very prsonal decision and not all woman will feel the same way about this surgery.

Good luck to you as you make your decisions but first and foremost will have to be a visit to your OBGYN and go from there.

Keep us posted.
  • Howdy! In '02' I collapsed in a pile of pain and was rushed to the hospital. Unknown to me, my right ovary was now a 3 lb benign tumor and had a 1 lb tumor right next to it. They removed the ovary and checked everything else - good, and they closed me up. I learned something after that. Our cycles rotate left and then right and the left etc. ovary for our cycles. Within a year of that I entered what I was told was "Premi-menopause." Love it (NOT), hot flashes, sweats, shakes, pain blah, blah. Okay fast forward. I am bumping menopause now as my so called cycles are like a day, and then about every month and a half.

I too notice pain changes for that one day, but for me I am not going to do anything about it as it is only one day now, and they are getting to be less and less. As the phrase goes, "If I knew then what I know now..." I would have had them take the whole shaabang! For pain reasons, not having kids anyway reasons, and reduce "girlie" issue risks. Like was said, short of emergency surgery, it is something not to be taken lightly, and too is a very personal decision. I hope you are feeling better. Please let us know how it goes. *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi, the pain you must be coping with sounds horrible. I had a pelvic clearance at 41 and the pain my gynae issues caused me was nasty enough yet alone having back issues added. Never have I regetted getting rid of my girlie bits and my back injury was 4 years later. Only you will know what is right for you. Talk to your doctors and be guided by them.Good Luck with whatever you decide and big gentle hugs and good thoughts coming your way. Hugs n' Loves - Paula
  • *Good News*
    I am almost cleared for my hysterectomy on June 14th, got to get final clearance from my spine surgeon on June 8th and then I can proceed, my OBGYN is ok with it all and my travel plans 5 weeks later, so keeping my fingers crossed.

I truly wish you luck as you seek this course of treatment, my surgical nurse just explained to me that most women never regret having this surgery! So go talk to your doc and good luck, please let us know what happens.

Hugs, Sandra
  • I can't thank you enough for your input and for your support. Yes, it's a personal decision and I'm going to have to think long and hard about it (if I can even find a doctor willing) before I go ahead. But the idea of getting rid of that 'extra' pain would feel like such a blessing. It seriously takes me down for at least 10 days, sometimes even longer. The closer I get to starting the worse it gets. I cry my eyes out from the pain! It's difficult enough, as you all know, to live with severe chronic pain every day of your life but to have this additional horrible pain on top of it? Wow, that's hard! At the same time I keep thinking about the fact that it would mean the end of any chance of ever bearing a child. Something I've never been blesses with. Not that I ever plan on having a baby at this point as it would be impossible with my health and the medication I'm on, plus it wouldn't even be fair to bring a child into my life since I couldn't take proper care of him/her. It's just the 'idea' of giving that up. Does that make sense? Hmmmm....... I guess the first place to start is talking with my OB/Gyn.

Hugs to all of you.
  • Sandra,
    Thank you for sharing your story. I wish you the very best of luck, hope everything goes extremely smooth for you, and that you're back on your feet in no time. Let us know how everything goes.
  • I understand the pain that you are in is difficult and if your periods are causing you so much distress on top of your regular pain, then there are other things that your OBGYN can do for you besides a hysterectomy.

Reading your last post, and realising that you are probably quite young and you have never had children I doubt very much that your doctor will agree to a hysterectomy. I have to say that if you think children could be in your future then DON'T seek this radical treatment, I believe you would end up extremely depressed if you did this. I know bringing a child into this world when you are in pain does not seem like a good idea however that does not mean you will not get better and some day be in a position to have children, don't take away your choices.

There is the pill which could help reduce your periods which can help reduce the cramping, you can also be fitted with an IUD, its a form of birth control and it can be worn for up to 5 years! Most likely you won't even get a period and your cramping will be reduced drastically, and if you decide you want to have children, the doctor removes the IUD and then your periods will return to normal. Please talk to your doctor and listen to all their advice and treatment options, it doesn't have to mean hysterectomy to give you relief and fter reading your post, I really feel that it wouldn't be in your best interest. My situation is so different from yours. I hope you consider everything Ihave told you, please don't make any permanent decisions based on a temporary situation.

Best wishes to you, I really hope you find something that works for you, don't give up!!!

Hugs, Sandra xx
  • What about those contraceptive pills that give you 4 period a year? It would seem this would reduce your painful periods by a third.
  • Well birth control pills really aren't an option for me. I wish! I used to be on them and had no problems at all, the doctor put me on them just to control the severe cramps I've always had. Had to go off though when tumors were discovered on my liver, bc pills are known to make them grow larger and the doctors forbid me to use them.
    As to my age I'm not as young you may think. I'm in my early/mid 40's. But alas I will never be having that baby, my husband has already had a vasectomy to make sure no accidents happen. It would be terrible to discover I was pregnant with the opiates in my system. And unlickily for me (along with many others on here) I'm expected to just get worse as the years go by rather than better. It's already been over 11 years. (the pain) In the shape I'm in I would never be able to carry a baby to full term, even if I went off of the meds. I still have that yearning though, big time! I thought I would have at least 3 children but fate has been working against me in different ways for many years.
    The idea of the IUD is something to look into. I didn't know that it could possibly stop a woman from having her period. If it didn't interefere with my liver and the tumors this could be a real option. Yes, something I will most definitly look into! The shots are a no no for me though, not good for my heart and again those pesky tumors.
    Thank you again ladies, your input has been invaluable to me. You've given me more options to look into. I hope you all have a wonderful and long but pain free weekend!

Hugs to all,
  • i had a complete abdominal hysterectomy 11 months ago due to constant uterus pains/cramping. huge bleeding issues to the point i didnt want to leave home! The recovery was long ( I had a large vetical cut from belly button down due toother issues) but I can honestly say it was the best decision i have ever made. I was 33 yrs old. Not sure about fixing the spinal pain but i can ssay the pain i used to get with my period used to radiate thru to my back, i would be nauseaus nd doubled over in bed for 2 days every cycle. Its definately worth getting opinions in my opinion.

all the best