Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Surgery Again

Goldie1228GGoldie1228 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was just told last week that I need back surgery again. It has only been 10 months since I had a fusion of L4 and L5 and screws put in. I have been in horrible pain for about the past 2 months but my doctor told me it could take 6 months to a year for the nerves to heal. I was trying to wait a year but my PCP said I should go back. They did MRI, CT scan and X-rays and said the bone has deterioriated away from the screws holding my disc in place. They recommended removing the screws and putting in something else. I cried for a whole day. I didn't expect to ever have this surgery again much less in less than a year. I haven't been back to my doctor to discuss it yet. Cannot get in until 6-15 and I am trying to set up a 2nd opinion with a KU doctor which will probably be August or Sept before I can get in to see him. My dentist told me yesterday that every person he knows that has had back surgery has had it twice. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like maybe something went wrong with my original surgery and am reluctant to have it again except I am in such horrible pain. I am just like I was before surgery.

• I am so sorry that it seems that you need further surgery on your spine. I can understand that it must be very upsetting as it is such a difficult recovery.

There are others on here who have had to have further surgery on a level that still had pain.

You have come to the right place to hear other's stories, find information and get emotional support. I have received so much help and made some really good friends here :D

I would definately get other opinions before deciding what to do.
    I am recovering after L4/L5 PLIF with laminectomy and really hope that I won't need further surgery.
    However, if I was still in terrible pain, I think I would still try to solve the problem to get my life back again.

Have you fused at the L4/L5 level? There are others on here who have had hardware (screws and rods) removed.
  • You aren't alone. I don't think everyone ends up back again but some certainly do. Hopefully the next few months will give you a chance to continue healing from the last surgery and get yourself as prepared as possible for the next.
  • It is quite frustrating. I was there with a failed MicroDiscectomy. I literally was devastated at the thought of another surgery so quickly but the flip side was that I was pleased that my pain was from an identifiable source.

You sound as if you are approaching this the right way in getting a 2nd opinion. I was told my my doctor that each time surgery is posed, a 2nd opinion is always important b/c as he said "us doctors are human too".

Sorry you have to go through this. Keep us poste on the date...I'll be sure to send prayers and positive vibes your way.
  • I am sorry to hear about your results.. I had a fusion surgery on April 1, 2009 and 10 months later I had another fusion but this time in my thoracic spine.. So I know that feeling.. I never ever ever ever thought when it had been 1 year since my 1st surgery to the day I would be standing with my dr as a post op for surgery number 2.. I has been alot the past year.. So I'm not sure about a repeat on a level but I think I would rather a redo then what I came out with with my last surgery.. I hope that you can get some relief soon.. Please keep us updated.. Bye..
  • Yes, I did have a fusion. The MRI shows the disc bulging again. Only 20% which they consider mild, but it is affecting my left leg as it did before surgery. Thanks for the comment. GW
  • It was nice (if that word should even be used here) to find out that my pain and weakness of my left leg has a source, not just in my head. I waited 2 1/2 months after the first surgery to begin exercising again. I was told that strengthening my leg muscles would help. I have been going to 24 Hour Fitness for almost 3 years 3-4 times a week faithfully even after I hurt my back. Now I have been told to not do any exercise that hurts my back. Believe it or not my aqua arobics always hurts my back so I have to give it up for now. I am riding the stationery bike and doing yoga besides my usual housework and gardening. I don't go into the doctor who diagnosed me until 6/16. The 2nd opinion doctor (a KU doctor) still has to call me to make an appointment. A month ago when I called them they were making appointments for August. This is so hard. Since I know I need surgery, I want to get it over with because I feel like kicking and screaming "NO!!"
  • Wow, Angela. You are so young to be going through this. I have had 57 years to hurt my back. I hope you never have to go through that again. I have read some stuff on women and the lack of protein. The article said that when we exercise if the body doesn't have protein to burn, it eats itself beginning with the spine because of the close proximity with the stomach. The only protein that I really like is dairy but I am trying to make a conscious effort to eat more protein. Hang in there kido. GW