Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

continued pain in neck

maryprichmmaryprich Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:44 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi, had cervical fusion at C6-C7 about 2 years ago with spinal cord damage the pain continues and worsens actually with arm use. I want to know others who may have similar issues who may need to talk to learn new coping skills. I am beginning to feel like I am at the end of my rope. I really am not getting any where with tradtional medicine so am looking for alternatives.
advertisement

Comments

• hey there, I can relate. I had the same surgery 12/23/09 and as of yet to gain any ground of recovery. Like you the more I try to use my left arm, the more it hurts. I'm so tired of doctors, I could scream. you try to tell them how much you hurt and they can only tell me to wait and see and then go on to tell me I shouldn't be taking all that pain medicine. I return to my NS this Friday and by heck he is either gonna do something to help me or I'm going elsewhere. I sit in my recliner pretty much 24/7 except for a couple walks around the block each day. I'm really beginning to think I might have MS. When I get out of bed in the mornings, my shoulders and torso feel like acid is running off them. I have a numb streak from just behind my left thumb about 2 inches wide to the elbow and then sort of degenerates the rest of the way up the arm. My left arm is almost useless, because if I use it, especial for anything above the chest, I pay for with excruciating pain in the arm for hours to follow. My right leg is good for about 15 or 20 minutes when up on it. Life has not been good for me these last few months.
  • Please see my sig. Mary, Just, with me its the right arm. I had to retire from my job as a law enforcement officer and helicopter/jet pilot due to the damage at my C6/7 level. About 2 weeks before I retired, I lost most of my median motor nerve function! I lost the Ulnar about 3 weeks before that! The only part of my right arm I can fully feel is along the radial sensory and motor nerve! Oh, EMG/NCV confirmed "No response to my medial and Ulnar sensory", and motor nerves "severely decreased in amplitude?" All I know is most of my right arm in function and strength is caput!

My NS feels that it is more likely (and I don't buy this yet okay?) severe Neuropathy that has developed! My last MRI was October 09, and considering the major changes in my arm, I am surprised he is going fully on the EMG/NCV study verses a new MRI?!? I will be getting with a new Neurologist to see if this puzzle can be solved!

Mary, is your insurance such that you can get another opinion as to what might be going on? Any new images (MRI,CT,X-ray?) taken lately? It isn't sounding like they gave up on you yet? As to coping skills. Not sure how you mean? I know for me it is a daily adjustment based on what my arm allows? Those skills? We are here to chat if needed.

At the top of the web page is a search box. Sniff around there a bit for some answers as well. This site is awash with tons of info!!! Welcome to Spine-Health Mary! Support *HUGZ*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I am getting ready to have the acdf c4/5 c5/6 when I saw my neurologist 2 weeks ago he said look and he took his magic wand and tapped my c6 nerve on my arm nothing! I had told him I was considering surgery because my arm feels like I could just chop it off and it would feel better. So I scheduled surgery hoping to get some relief, I am feeling better, but I am not working or doing anything. If I do anything with my right arm I throw myself into a major flare and cant do anything but take my pain pills aand soma. I hope you get some relief and figure out what its going to take to make you feel better!! My surgery June 8th! Good luck to you. Lela