Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Meds

ZackZZack Posts: 269
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Pain Medications
I don't have a problem with any kind of meds. My doctor has told me from the beginning that he would try his best to keep me comfortable, because pain control can help you recover faster and may reduce risks of developing complications after surgery. If your pain is well controlled, you will be better able to complete simple tasks such as walking.

• Adequate pain control is key to full and speedy recovery. No med professional wants you to tough it out. It takes too much energy and effect your appetite etc etc.

The flip side is knowing when it is time to back off the meds and doing it in a controlled and responsible manner.

Good medical care is so important and so hard to find!!
  • be sure and listen to your doctor!! :H good luck with a complete and successful recovery.. your doctor will direct you when it is time to back off on your meds but in the meantime use them as directed and make yourself comfortable. there is no need to suffer!! all the best and stop by anytime!! Jenny :)
  • And remember that all pain meds have side effects, both short and long-term. Listening to your doctor is good, but in the end you are your own most important advocate. Keep meticulous records of what you are taking. Fill your meds at the same pharmacy and verify interactions with your pharmacist. You can also check online. Make sure you are clear on what dose you are taking, how much, and how often.

Read all of the inserts of every medication you take. Know what you are putting in your body, as this is the only one you get, and it is under enough stress already!.

Ask your pharmacist if any of your medications interact synergistically in terms of sedation. This is not just important in terms of things like driving or operating machinery, but can sometimes be fatal!

Also remember that most opiods have acetaminophen in them, a medication also found in any other over the counter medications, and very dangerous if overdosed. Be very careful, check labels!

Sometimes the level of medications they are giving some really young people concerns me. I hope people are being very careful.