Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

June surgeries

tonyanwisconsinttonyanwisconsin Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am not sure what happened to the threads we use to have so people having surgery during the month could all post in the same spot. So I decided to start one.
I am not having surgery in June..thank god..lol.
I know it was nice to have 1 thread when I had my surgery to post on. We all got to chat with each other and compare notes so to speak. It was nice.
So anyone having surgery in the month of June feel free to post what you are having done and when.

• Good job Tonya for creating this thread! I found it so helpful that I took my laptop to the hospital!

It was amazing to have such unconditional support!

AND, I now have some amazing new friends!

I am often here more than FB! :)

Thanks again Tonya for lovingly setting this up for others! :)
  • Anyone having surgery in June, this is a great way to get to know people who will be in a very similar situation to you.
    The emotional support you will get from sharing with someone going through the same thing, is immense.

I wish anyone having spinal surgery in June the very best and hope that you will soon be on the way to full recovery and a better life. :-)
  • Good luck to all the June Surgery folks.

p.s. I spoke to Gwennie and she had a good pre meeting with her doctor and is going in on June 1...keep her in your thoughts!

I know there were a few other people I spoke to that at least had tentative June dates scheduled.

I wanted to wish you all well and let you know I'll check here to support you as best I can!
  • Hi Everyone,

I'll be having a 3 level posterior fusion on L3, L4, L5. I'm nervous and it isn't even June yet.
  • The way I feel today I wish I was having surgery in June. Is it just me or does there seem to be a huge drop in the number of surgeries? back in the winter there was always someone having surgery. I wonder if this is due to the season or health care changes. Any thoughts?
  • Hi there Mindy - good luck! I know it's a slow month for surgery but it just means you'll get more of my good vibes. Try to enjoy the next few weeks as best you can.

Kris-NY....yeah, I noticed the drop off. Not sure if people do 'better' in the warmer weather and try to use walking and what not. I also suspect it's the healthcare changes that many companies instilled on people. But who knows. Maybe doctors are being more cautious about operating or maybe it's getting hot so no urgent surgeries.

Just quiet.
  • I'll be having a 3-level lumbar laminectomy/discectomy with instrumentation a week from Monday. I was just (!) having leg weakness, urge incontinence tingling/pain/numbness in my butt, both legs and also my upper back, arms and hands. Yesterday and today I feel as if I've seriously thrown something out of wack in my lower back so have been lying in bed getting to know my heating pad. And that's just mainly the lumbar stuff ;) My surgeon confirmed that I probably need posterior fixation of my cervical spine, since I have an incomplete fusion there and have a lot of pain and dysfunction. We're going to try a spinal cord stimulator soon to see if it helps with the mess that is my thoracic spine.

I'm on 300 mg per day of Lyrica, which does help with my hands and lower legs, but nothing on earth seems to help with my butt and ischial tuberosity ("sitz bones") crazy-making pain. I've recently increased my Cymbalta dose from 30 mg to 60 mg per day, and it's my impression that it is helping with some of the nerve pain. (It's also killing my appetite at the moment, so I hope that keeps up.)

I think it helps to have a positive outlook and realistic expectations. Know everything you can about your condition and the surgery you need (I'm a surgical nurse, so that helps) and know that a lot of your success will come from you. Take good care of yourself, both physically and emotionally. (I just about cry when I read so many desparate posts on this site.)

For me, my pets have been therapeutic. We recently adopted a couple of dogs. Oh, and a couple more cats (3 total). >:D< I love 'em dearly; they make me laugh when I'm feeling down and realize that it's not always about me and my sad sack back.
  • Baby Bubbles- Cymbalta, I noticed that it seems to take away my food cravings also. Unlike Lyrica which made me hungry as a wolf. i'm taking 120mg now for 2 weeks. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I got allot of encouragement from your post. I didn't realize that my "urge" with my bladder could be related to my back. I did have an infection but that cleared and I still have the"urge". I'll talk to my doctor. Yes, I am realizing back surgery is major surgery. It's the one kind I've always feared, but I also don't want to live the rest of my life in this much pain and hardly able to get around.
  • My surgery is scheduled for June 11--an XLIF and PLIF with hardware removal and then adding new hardware from s1-L3.

I am getting quite anxious so its nice to have the support from this forum.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!
  • some of you guys will have seen my thread '6 sleeps' but I thought Id just drop in here for a visit, and say good luck to all Junies if your feeling anything like me, it is a dream come true and couldnt come sooner, though scary and frightening and all that, but well worth it and very welcome!!

Im hoping to take my laptop and wifi for when i come round to update and let you all know how it went, but will see how that goes LOL, and for anyone going in this month or anytime soon, take a look at my thread as I asked for help for what to take to the hospital and have had the most awesome help and ideas, tips etc, it is cool to hear what worked for everyone else and I have been able to really prepare right down to a schedual of when I want what brought in and a list of what to pack that I will leave for Cam to do when Im ready for it.

So anyway good luck all and will see you on the other side........yeha!!
  • Hi Kristy,
    I was lucky that my husband (Mr Jelly!!) posted for me after surgery until I got home again.
    I would dictate to him what I wanted to say and he would post it. He also used to print out the answers to my posts and bring them to the hospital for me to read.
    I know that not all husbands would be willing to do this, but he knew how much support I'd got from my spiney friends. :-)
  • Hi, thanks for creating this thread. I have my discotomy on Thursday June 3rd. So far I feel a little more confident about it -just have to hope for the best. Good luck to everyone else.
    discectomy in June 2010 - success! No sciatic pain, just some remaining numbness in foot. And I get charlie horses a lot.
  • Good luck to all you guys getting ready for surgery! (Sorry, the Philly girl slips out at times, even though I now live in Texas.) And to all the supportive folks who stop by to say howdy, well, howdy back atcha! Kidding aside, it really does wonders to have support, especially for those who've never gone through such a major surgery, or sometimes *any* surgery before.

I've got a wonderful husband and daughter (I consider her my own and there's nothing step about her) and know that I'm blessed in that regard. I'm also fortunate through my line of work that I know some excellent surgeons. I suppose I'm different in how I approach any of my surgeries, as I don't tend to emotionalize them. (Heck, I'm emotional enough about everything else, it seems!) I know that's hard to do for a lot of people, but if you do your homework, trust in your doctor, and keep your focus toward having at lease some positive outcomes, you need not enter the operating room with your nerves totally on edge. :)

Mindy, I hope you do talk to your doctor about your incontinence. If it is what is called "stress incontinence," that is, leaking while coughing, sneezing, changing position, that won't be "fixed" by spine surgery but instead by exercises or one of several quick operations known as a sling procedure. The type of incontinence that can be caused by spinal issues is "urge incontinence" where you have little to no control over your bladder, it just happens full force. A good urologist can test for and diagnose the type (or types, as some people have mixed incontinence) and help tremendously, so I recommend that as well.

I hope everyone has a smooth recovery. Here's to feeling better!
  • I just had a thought and thought I might share....

I do heaps of art and things and I used to do lots of quilting etc, and for alot of important occasions Id start a project to memorialise what ever it was, and though I have no intention to start stitching again, my thought was to do a drawing or painting (probably paint might be out of the question till I can sit properly again, but I can draw lying down) that memorialises my op, and I thought that maybe if anyone else did similar things, poems drawings painting needle craft anything really and then if there is a way to post them to share, set that up and show others our art as a celebration of getting through.

So what do you all think, Im happy when Im through the other side to try to figure it out and set it up (though I may need a little help) but does it sound like something others would be interested in being a part of?

Anyway if it is either let me know and I can give it a crack, or if it is something anyone else is into doing let me know and I will join in with what they do.

I just think it is alot of times my art - as well as all my family support and all the support from everyone here - that plays a big role in getting through all this.

So I cant wait to hear if it might be a good idea, and will keep watch for where to go next, and Im just reaching for my sketch book to start drawing :-) as I do.

• Hi Kristy,

What a great idea!

I wrote a poem about a year before my surgery, which I posted on here a long time ago. I'll give you the link. Hopefully it will amuse you all. :

I'll have to try to write another poem, specifically about my surgery. I do have some ideas, but not really got the flow yet.

I also intend to do some sort of art work, but just haven't really got inspired yet.

I am working on something completely different in my many hours of spare time! A story for my 3 year old granddaughter. The story is just about completed, I just need to work on illustrating it now.

I'll look forward to seeing what others produce in their creative moments. :-)
  • Thanks for the thread, I did post a couple of weeks ago that I finally decided that I had enough of my pain the neck and arms and shoulders and mid back etc. I am having an ACDF on c4/5 c5/6 a week from today!! I was at the point that I was laying and feeling horrible more than I was I feeling good. Now I have also noticed tingling into both hands and into both feet, I guess it could come from my neck. My ns a couple of months ago said that he gave me a 60/40 chance of success with this surgery, at this point I will take it!! His pm doc said the surgery will take away the arm, shoulder pain, and muscle spasms away and will take away the ice pick in the neck pain away and I will be left with a dull ache for the rest of my life, I am 44 years, I guess thats the cards I am dealt!! Then there are days that I think I dont think I need surgery, because I am not working and have been laying around doing nothing and not hurting , then I do something and start hurting and think oh yes now I know why I scheduled surgery!!! Thanks for listening, its a hard decision to make and I finally made it and glad I did!!!Lela
  • June 11th for me. PLIF/TLIF L5-S1

They took me off of all the anti-inflammatory meds last Thursday. Tough to sleep this weekend as the legs are burning and the feet are throbbing. Never realized how much those simple drugs did to keep the pain down until you don't have them. Lack of sleep, much work to finish this week and I'm getting anxious. To the point of some mild anxiety attacks. Thankfully my wife is understanding and a great sidekick.

• The last week or so before surgery is an anxious time.
    The increase in pains now you have stopped the anti-inflammatory meds shows that you need this surgery.

Lots of us have said after our surgery, that the anticipation was worse than the surgery.
    Be ready for a long and initially difficult recovery, but hopefully it will be worth it.
    I am 11 weeks post PLIF surgery with decompression and laminectomy and am doing so much better than before surgery. I am really starting to be able to do things again. The other day, my daughter said she felt like she had got her mum back!! :D

An understanding wife will be a great asset to you during your recovery.
    I wish you well. Do keep posting here and let us know how you get on. :D
  • Good Luck tomorrow. Do something fun for yourself today. Maybe an ice cream cone or a great big sundae!!!

Can't wait to see you on the other side if surgery!!

• For you baby bubbles
    Thinking and praying for you for a successful surgery that achieves what is needed and for good pain control after surgery.
    Wishing you well on the recovery road. :-)

I hope that you are feeling calm and confident for your cervical fusion surgery tomorrow. I hope that you are able to make the most of today, and will be thinking and praying for you tomorrow.

We'll all look forward to hearing from you both as soon as you are able to post. Best wishes and see you on the other side of surgery! :H
  • Thinking of you both and hoping that you are feeling comfortable and that recovery is under way.

We are here for you and waiting to hear how you are getting on, when you feel up to posting :D
  • I say we because, while hubby is the one undergoing the operation, I have traveled the last year's very painful road with him .We go for a pre-op on June 14 and will know then what they are intending to do beyond the laminectomy. It's a relief to have a date and yet it is also really scary. Thank you so much for all the info as we now have some idea of what lies ahead and how we can cope.
    We do live over two hours away from the hospital. I am worried about the ride home and how I can make it easier for him?
  • Today Is the Day!!! Cant sleep, a little nervous, anxious to be on the other side as you all say! Thanks for the support, I will let you know how things go, if it werent for this site I would have gone nuts months ago when all my cervical issues started to rear its ugly head! Thamks again! Lela

• Praying for you, your family and your surgical team.
    Hope that all goes well and that you wake up feeling much improved and without pain.
    Now starts your journey on the road to recovery.
    Hope it will be smooth and not too long.

We will all be waiting to hear how things went, once you are able to post.
  • What a relief to have it over and now you can begin to mend. Hoping for a very speedy recovery so you can get on with a painfree life.
  • Thinking of you today Lela! Before you know it, it'll all be over and you will be on your way to recovery!

Wishing you the best and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!
  • duplicate post sorry
  • Thanks for everyone's comments, and to Jellyhall for thinking of us. I'm doing pretty well - my surgery went well - no complications, and the leg pain is gone. Although I have a twinge of it sometimes, like when I get up from lying down too long, or sometimes when I lie on the same side for too long. But once I get up and walk around, it goes away. The Charley horses haven't left though. Usually I can stop them in their tracks, but not last night!
    But in general, I'm looking forward to getting my strength back and moving on.
    Good luck to everyone else in your surgeries and recovery!
    discectomy in June 2010 - success! No sciatic pain, just some remaining numbness in foot. And I get charlie horses a lot.

• It sounds like everything is doing well Meesha, and you are already finding out how helpful the walking is.

Keep healing :D