Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello old friends/update

mommatialuvmmommatialuv Posts: 269
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all my SH friends, I have missed you all but had to do without internet for a couple months as we adjusted to my income decrease.

I hope you all are healing well and feeling positive.

Here I am now lets see, I have been in pain management since February, they have me on a Fentnyl patch 25mcg hr, still using Hydrocodone 10/325, neurontin 2700 mg daily, added Tizanidine up to 3 times daily for muscle spasms.

I have also begun seeing a urologist and am on Vesicare for incontinence (overflow, stress, and urge).
A gastroenterologist for gerd and gastritis he has me on Prilosec 40mg and sucralfate. My anemia has been well controled the past 3 months.

I completed my 18 sessions of physical therapy and am a bit stronger, I can walk about 500 feet with just a cane then need my walker, a half mile total then I need my scooter. The pain is no better hence the new meds.
I had 2 steroid injections the first did nothing and the second, 3 weeks ago, has me feeling worse (has anyone else had that happen).
I just found out that I have been approved for SSDI effective Feb of this year, they will re evaluate me in 5-7 years.
Thanks for "listening" its good to be back,
God bless and keep you all,

• nice to hear from you again, although I wish that you had better news.

As you can see, I have had my PLIF now and am recovering well.

Once again, it is lovely to have you join us again :-)
  • Shirley,

Welcome Back! Sorry you still have all those issues going on. Glad to see you are back with us! Congrats on your SSDI approval - that should take a little external stress off! Great to have you back woman!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I'm sorry to see you're still going through a rough time on recovering from your surgery though glad to hear you're getting stronger. I haven't had even more pain after an epidural just no results with the others I had last year and before. The 2nd epidural took 4 weeks to work for me last month. I'm glad to hear you got your SSDI at least some great news to help with finances. I hope you start feeling better soon. My best. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks Jelly, Brenda and Charry.
    Jelly I am so happy your surgery and recovery are going so well.
    Brenda how are you feeling these days?
    The SSDI is good, I was very surprised to get an approval so quickly, i was told it often takes a year or more with several appeals. Only about 30% get approved on the first try.
    Charry I saw my pain mgmt dr a week after my second injection, I had just been feeling very achy and fatigued all over, almost like flu symptoms with no fever or cough, just achy and fatigue. She said she had never heard of those type symptoms/side effects post injection. It has gotten better but I dont want any more injections. She agreed. We discussed the possibility of a spinal cord stimulator, but she wants to see if I can hold off a little longer. we will see.
    Again ladies thanks for the response, I will check back often.
    God bless and keep you,
  • Shirley,

Is the hubby being supportive now? I hope that is working out well. It sounds like they are still working with you to get you a good as you can be. :)

30% and SSDI, sounds about right from what I've learned. For my federal disability retirement I had to file for it. If I were to get it, it would adjust my retirement annuity, so it would be a 'wash' in the end for me. My official retirement date Shirley was 5-22-2010! It still hasn't sunk in except that I have returned to my nite owl ways! I hate getting up early, so that part is working out well. Had changes, so surgery is on hold. I added a link so you can see where that whole mess is. Thanks to Lyrica, most of it is tolerable. I am taking a "2 weeks doctor free" as a reward for retiring - then with no work restrictions, I will get going full speed to make me a new normal!

Please come chat with us whenever you can woman, you were missed! Huge *HUGZ*

• Hi Brenda,
    Well hubby is fairly supportive. On days when he can see that my pain is increased he takes over taking care of Damion, but he doesn't understand that I have pain everyday, its just the level that changes. I was talking to him one day when I was having some joint pain and he said sarcastically "you hurt somewhere every day", I responded with "yes that is correct,now stop and really think about that, I have not had a pain free 12 hour period in almost 8 months now. I need you to really understand that, it takes a toll sometimes". He did stop and after a few minutes said "i'm sorry". Another thing is I dont really go out "its a hassle to load that scooter up" according to my husband. I cant put it on my car and the only way to get it in his truck is with some ramps he bought, and they are to heavy for me to use. So I go to dinner occasionally and on a really good day I may go to a movie. that is the extent of my getting out. oh yeah and the mailbox or around the block.
    My income was a wash also, my SSDI is actually less then my LTD so LTD will now send the difference, and I owed them my entire first SSDI check since they have "over paid" me that amount. I knew all that was going to happen, I am just relieved that the SSDI waiting is over. I was afraid they were going to send me for a bunch of tests and or to see one or more of their docs. I didn't have to do any of that and wont have to for at least 5-7 years. I plan on having my docs keep up with testing and scans, so when ssdi comes around to re evaluate my case they will have good information again and hopefully I wont have to go through the ringer for them.
    I know what you mean, I haven't worked since 8/31/09 but the finality of my personal leave ending on 5/21/10 and the ssdi approval letter the same week was very strange. My day to day life didn't change but my mind set did. I was very depressed for a few days but it didn't last long. :)
    I'm glad the lyrica is helping you. You deserve some relief, and 2 weeks Dr. free is a great "vacation". enjoy it while you can.
    I'm going to your link so I will know exactly what is going on. In the mean time be well and thanks so much for caring! :)
    God bless and keep you :hug:
  • No prob on the caring Shirley. *HUG* My hubby was very good at understanding I hurt "here and there" as it in my legs and upper body change, and that the thoracic is a constant 24/7 "ring of fire" that nothing short of this wonderful brace touches. That ring of skin can't stand anything touching it, but the brace which isn't too uncomfortable, seems to neutralize it for a bit. I try not to wear it much as I don't want my muscles to get lazy. :-) I have caught my hubby 'sniffing' around the net when he hears my reports or my doctor says things - there are times I think he respects my ouchi-ness better than I do! I think I will keep him, as he said, "It is in the vows isn't it?" (G)

I am glad your hubby is coming around. Sadly, and I think you too may have said it, I wish (not to inflict damage) I could transfer my pain to some of these people that don't get it for just 24 hours - lets see how many run to the ER!!! I know Shirley, hehehe..singing to the choir!

My day to day of course has changed as I am not going into work, but my brain I think thinks its on leave or something. I am the first supervisor to leave this office with not so much as a "congrats, good bye" from my director, never mind a send off luncheon or dinner. Jerks... I actually am mentally in a better place now that I am off that stress channel! Hopefully shortly you might find similar de-stress levels as well. I am not driving as much (big pain generator there), not getting up and down from my chair at work (sitting was the worst), no constant un-commanded twisting to answer questions or leaning awkwardly over someones shoulder to help them on projects (lower back hated that!). So I would say in that regard, I pain wise, stress wise am seeing THAT difference. Fingers crossed that you too will have that soon too woman!!

Well, I figured I typed your ear off enough for now. I am here as always if you need to chat, vent, laugh, share. Keep looking out for number one when you can. *HUG*

• Shirley,

Haven't seen you much of late on here. Dropping a quick note to say HI, and see how you are doing now? Please update us so we don't worry. big *HUGZ* woman!!

• I missed your first post - when I don't get on the computer every day, it's amazing how quickly the threads go to the bottom of the page or the next one!!

Anyway, it's good to hear from you, but not good that pain isn't any better.

Sending you >:D< >:D< >:D< from Oz.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008