Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sort of Odd Question?

Mindymork62MMindymork62 Posts: 207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
If a Neurosurgeon is doing a posterior 3 level fusion on L3, L4, L5, will he be able to see the T12 at all while he is in there? I had a disco-gram recently that did show some problems with the disc at T12, but this surgeon can only take care of the lower lumbar because the T12 had been treated by a work comp doctor, and not a very good one at that.

• My guess would be not, not via the normal incision. From what my NS said to me (now this was concerning my cervical surgery), he can see some of the level above and below the site, but nothing more without a more invasive incision.

I've not had lumbar surgery yet, but logic mode here, I would guess no. Did you ask your surgeon if there is a way he could look?

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • According to my surgeon they open the space out as to what they are looking to fix. They will only do the access to those levels they plan on operating on. It is just not as simple as making a incision and the spine is there they have to make the access to get to the levels. Now even though it was work comp you might want to talk to him and see if he will address that level. They can figure the logistics out later as to what part they are responsible for financially, but would be much cheaper on them to do while they are there.