Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New option post-oxy

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Pain Medications
FDA Approves Exalgo

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved Exalgo (hydromorphone HCl) Extended-Release Tablets, (CII).

The indication for Exalgo is once daily administration for the management of moderate to severe pain in opioid-tolerant patients requiring continuous, around-the-clock opioid analgesia for an extended period of time.

URL removed due to advertisements on site

FDA has approved an extended release hydromorphone tablet. Hydromorphone is the synthetic opiate in dilaudid, so this is another option for chronic pain relief for opiate-tolerant chronic pain patients (or will be, when the red tape is complete!).

This is also good news for those of us at the beginning stages who are worried about maintaining throughout a lifetime!

• Interesting - there was an extended-release version of hydromorphone (a semi-synthetic opioid some 7.5 times as potent as morphine) on the US market a few years ago (it was called Palladone) but it was withdrawn, due to fears of overdose (it remains available in the UK). I wonder why they are reintroducing it now under a different brand.
  • I am guessing they found a way to make it difficult to break down for injection or other ways of ingestion, or changed the formulation. Just a guess though.

I am glad, being 43 with a severe injury! I really wish that, instead of taking things off the market, they'd make them available through highly trained PM doctors. I don't mind having to jump through hoops to get the stronger meds, I simply want to know they are there when the stuff I am using now is no longer effective.

And thank you to whoever edited my post! I was not sure how to do that, although I knew it was important info!