Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

greenkeyggreenkey Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in New Member Introductions
I am laying here with the laptop on my stomach recovering from a microdiscectomy I had on Wednesday the 26th! I am here looking for people who understand what I'm going through and I am bored bored bored already with recovery.

About me: I am a 31 year old woman and have had sciatica and low back pain since I was about 18. Just recently my neurosurgeon told me I have a birth defect called a transitional vertebrae that has been the cause of the degeneration in my disks at such a young age.

I have two bulging disks - L3/L4 and L4/L5 which occasionally cause flareups of nerve pain. I also had a rupture at L5/S1 which happened in December 09 and brought on the flareup to end all others. This is the one repaired on Wednesday.

Some stenosis, inflammation in the joints, and degenerative disk disease.

I'm married, no kids, three stepkids on weekends. I lost my job last October and as the job hunt has not yielded any results yet, decided to go for the surgery while I have the "time".

Looking forward to meeting new friends here!

• Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of great information on the SH site, including articles and videos, many explaining what you're going through. Also, the members of the forum are very kind, knowledgeable and supportive.

I haven't had a microdiscectomy, but you can see by my signature that I have had my share of spine problems. I can most relate with you regarding the pain of spine problems and the boredom of recovery. Be careful not to do too much when you start feeling like you can do more than you should due to boredom. You'll find it said many times here that recovery from any spine procedure or surgery is a long one and you have to be patient, as difficult as that can be.

So again, welcome to Spine-Health. I suspect you'll find many friends here and this place can be a haven for us spineys because so many outside of this type of problem don't understand what we go through. It's wonderful to find others that understand and believe me, we do. So welcome to our forums - make yourself at home and have fun finding new friends and getting to know us.

Take care. We'll be here to help you through your recovery and whatever else comes us along your spine journey.

• just take your time to recover and dont over do anything even when you feel better..
  • Hi there,

I had a microdiscectomy (actually 2). I would follow doctors orders and even if you are feeling better, still follow doctor's orders.

Each doctor is different but I found lying on my back with a pillow under my legs was best for spine support for me. Or, on my side with a pillow b/t my legs. I have a special lap top holder that let's me be on the computer in one of these positions.

Recovery is all about you! Walk short walks every 1-2 hours on flat surfaces and limit bending, twisting, lifting. Yep, that means no laundry or dishes.

The way to pass the boredom is to remember it's worth it in the long run.

Let me know if you have questions.
  • Hi, greenkey! It helps to have a good setup for your computer. I've found with my surgeries that I have limited attention during the first few weeks, what with the meds and all. One thing I've found that's really fun to do is go to wikipedia.com, then click on the left on "random page." You'd be surprised all all the strange and interesting things that will pop up.

One other thing... while having a transitional vertebra (one having aspects of two different levels) is something that is present from birth, it is not all that uncommon and is not actually a birth defect. For lots of people there are no problems, for others, ouch. Ask me how I know! ;)

Wishing you well in your recovery.
  • Thanks very much for the welcome and the advice. It is much appreciated. I've never as much as had tonsils out so this whole hospital, anesthesia, etc experience was brand new.

I do have a question for you DNice: I had something happen that I assume is unusual or this wouldn't have been an outpatient procedure. About 4 hours after I was discharged, I had a flareup that became so severe I could only stand on one leg and scream and cry since moving my left leg even the tiniest bit was level 10 pain and beyond. After about 3 hours, I had to return to the hospital by ambulence because i could not walk to the car.

Altogether after the surgery (over about 10 hours) I had 4 Lortab, 1 Soma, 3 Robaxin, 2 Percocet, 2 IV doses of Fentenyl, and 1 IV dose of Dilaudid. That was what it took to get me to stop crying and screaming.

I've taken it VERY slow ever since. Yesterday was a very good day and today is not great but nothing like that first night.

As I am new here, if I am starting a new topic that would be more appropriate elsewhere, I apologize.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else has had this happen or heard of this happening.