Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion & motorcycles

B52BB52 Posts: 247
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi y'all! Let me ask you something. I'm about 6 months post L5S1PLIF. I'm recovering, but kind of slowly. I can do some things, but still lifting or bending really knocks me out. Sitting in a chair or standing for any length of time leaves me with a numb/burning right leg, foot & hip. Should this still be happening after 6 months?

Also, much time sitting straight up in the car makes me hurt like mad. But, riding on my motorcycle really doesn't hurt at all. If I go far, I still wear my TLSO brace and I feel pretty good at the end of a ride. I know, I know..motorcycles are dangerous (especially to us spineys), but it sure seems more comfortable to me. Anyone have any insight here? My bike is a long, low cruiser and my posture on it is sorta laid back with feet way out in front of me. Maybe that's it.

Peace out, y'all!

• come on Aaron got nice safe SAAB or a Volvo!!!! just kidding ...as for the pain after 6 months i would say that its normal as you have had major surgery and will ache for some time after i have been told that when i have my multi level fusion it will be 3 years before i am ok or as ok as i will ever be be bloody careful on that bike my friend !
  • Aaron,

Sorry to hear you're still a hurting digit! Like Straker said, it will/can take a while. I haven't had surgery down there yet, so can't say either way on where you are at now.. Now for the good part....

Necessity is the mother of invention right? It could be an interesting new career - design a lazy boy type chair that mimics the styling and angles of your bikes seat! Could be interesting, no?

Hope you continue healing and feeling better everyday! Take care. *hug*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Lazy Boy? Heck, you'd have to wrap me in gel pads and styrofoam, and even then I'd probably never survive it post surgery!

Just so you know, I stored my Harley when I started having neck/shoulder/hand symptoms, and I'd get pressure sores (because I'd be riding on my tailbone, no matter how much padding I had). It near killed me to sell it, but I couldn't see that I'd be in good enough form after cervical fusion, and with continuing lumbar problems, to be safe on the road. I think I made the right choice, but I cried all the same. :(

I'd think your spine would take a beating no matter how comfortable you are, Aaron. I'd at least wait a few months longer before making it a habit, and not be on medications that affect your response time.

You take care.
  • Babybubbles, sorry to hear that you ain't riding. I am, but I am NOT on any medication. I don't think meds or drinking and bikes mix. I guess I shouldn't ride just yet..I dunno, it's hard to drive and I don't want to just stay home. All winter of staying in the house right after surgery just about drove me bats!

And no, Straker, I just can't see me as a Volvo type of person!

Aaron :)
  • me neither ...but the new SAAB 93 is very tasty pity i cant get in and out of it ..so i will stick with my 4x4 ! take care