Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

chronic back pain

smackyssmacky Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyoneThis is my first time here, hope everyone is having a good day. since 2001 i have suffered from low back, hip, and thigh and leg pain. I have taken x-rays,ct, ct mylegrams and mri. Over the past several years my symptoms seem to have gotten worse. I am unable to walk more than 5 minutes without increase pain in back,hip and thigh leg and new symptoms of leg, foot and buttock numbness and tingling pain in buttocks and foot.I have been on several medications over the years and I have had steroid injections that did not offer much pain relief.my current medications are cycobenzaprine,naproxen, and darvocet.Test showed that i have 3 diffused disc bulges with facet hypertrophy and ligamental thickening along with narrowing of right neural foramen. I almost forgot several months of PT. my nuerosurgeon said we could try lumbar foraminotomy to see if it can give me any relief or decrease in symptoms. has any one had this surgery before?

• Hi there and sorry to hear you are in pain. I guess that's how most of us found our way here. I am pretty sure folks that have used that surgery can comment on why they chose it and their results.

I would definitely recommend a 2nd opinion before entering surgery for your back but aside from that I guess I won't be of much help.

I am a lower back sufferer and can relate to your pains as I herniated L5-S1 severely back in Aug 2009 (after about 17 years of on/off pain and surprisingly had been relatively symptom free for about 6 years).

I wish I could offer more advice but I know others will give you input based on their experiences.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I also recommend a second and possibly third opinion. I see that your current doctor is a Neurosurgeon, so perhaps an opinion from another NS and also an Orthopedic Spine Surgeon (does ONLY spine). I have had great luck with OSS and one good NS.

You want to make sure that if you are opting for surgery you are going for the best option - the one that will give you the most relief for the longest period of time.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos