Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A Story of Good Out comes...

abenakiaabenaki Posts: 76
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, for me it has been a year since my lumbar surgery. L1 to S1 of my spine is pretty much shot so I had L3 to S1 fused last year at this time with a laminectomy and all the fun hardware...It took me two month to walk on my own again without my walker, 7 months to lose my cane, 8 months to get back on a bike, nine months to get completely off pain pills and now I am golfing again! Never thought I would ever golf again but one year later life is better than it has been in 15 years. I even had an ACDF from C4 to C7 2 years ago as well...I watched my mom suffer all her life with this stuff without correction and I was worried. Now I am so grateful for what doctors are able to do these days! I know it doesn't always work out but in my case it sure did and for those of you worried about surgery I hope my story can help you to realize that it does work out. People like myself don't come back to this site so you rarely hear our story but we are out there! I am actually golfing 18 holes at least once a week and feeling just fine afterwards. I do recommend that you stretch before and after and that you do your back exercises every day. But life sure can be sweet on the other side!

Good luck to all of you facing the surgery!

• I'm really glad to hear that you're doing so well. I'm 5 months out of a 1-lvl TLIF at L4/5 and have actually golfed three 9-holes. Well, two of them I could only make it through 7 holes before I hurt too much, but it's nice to know it can be done. As long as I use the swing my PT showed me, I don't hurt during or afterwards, but habits are habits and I've had a couple of times where I've tried (without knowing it) going back to my old swing which is very dangerous for me to do.

Luckily, my hubby notices it, tells me, then keep an eye on me and tells me when it's time for me to stop playing.

So yes, it's possible for some of us spineys to eventually get back to doing things we love, with adjustments, and knowing when to stop. I'm not adverse to just riding in the cart for 9 holes while my hubby plays just to be out there if I'm not up to the actually physical activity.

Now, pulling weeds, which I did yesterday, is a different story...

Again, congrats on feeling so well. I applaud you and hope all continues to go well.

• Hahaha..glad you are doing well too but you know I still can't pull weeds ;) at least that is what I tell my wife...

• I keep looking at them and wondering if I could get away with just getting down on one knee and digging them out. It is so frustrating to see them growing bigger and bigger each day!!

• i wish you a continued happy PAIN FREE recovery .Gary do yourself a big favor ..don't over do it ..you don't want to be back in the operation theater or back on pain killers !!