Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to Board

celine109cceline109 Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Introduced to this board by TripleLumbar ADR.

He and I were introduced by a special friend. I had L4/L5 fusion on May 12 - no follow up till June 17. I don't get why the pain - not the original pain, but the surgical pain is still there? Anybody got any info for me. How long do I need to expect to be like this??

advertisement

Comments

• Well,... A Fusion isn't an easy surgery to recover from typically. They cut pretty deep and change the spinal positioning by correcting it with the hardware. I wouldn't expect the surgical pain to be gone quite yet. Call your doc if you are really alarmed though.

Hang in there.

~BB
  • but my surgeon has told me that my recovery will be THREE YEARS after my fusion {mind you its a multi level and my spine is well knackered !} so i would say stop panicking and get some pain killers from your doctor
    just take things easy a fusion is a big a major heart surgery
    STRAKER
  • I'm not surprised you are still having incision pain. You are not quite a month out. I would make sure the incision isn't too red or oozing but if it looks normal...then I suspect it's just time on the incision.

But, if you are concerned, definitely call your doctor b/c he'll ask the "right" questions to know if there is reason to be worried.

If it helps I had a microdiscectomy in August 2009 and I swear the incision was sore to the touch until about December 2009. I then had a revision in Feb 2010 through same incision...oddly, that time it hurt less. It only took 2 weeks to stop really hurting.

How are you doing aside from the incision pain?
  • I had three levels fused and just started to feel better a year and a half out. The others are right -- fusion is nothing to take lightly. I'd rather have five hysterectomies in a row than to have another fusion!

Linda
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.

• My physiotherapist told me yesterday that after fusion surgery, our body has had a major assult on it.
    There is a lot of damage to bone, muscles and irritation of nerves. It is perfectly normal to have pain and tiredness from this.

Give yourself permission to allow enough time for everything to settle down and heal.
    This is a very long road to recovery, but hopefully it will all be worth it at the end of the journey. :D
  • I am unable to drive, clean, bend. The pain is up and down and I am thinking that I will try advil and stop the oxycodone. It's not that I take a lot - 2 or 3 a day - but I feel that I should be fyrther along that I am - Thanks for the input!!

• Not sure what Advil is, but do check with your surgeon/doctor before you change your pain medication.

There are some medications that you shouldn't use after fusion surgery because they impede fusion.
    Anti-inflamatories are generally to be avoided.
    (If Advil is asprin based, I believe this is a medication that you should avoid.)

Follow the instructions that you have been given, you don't want to spoil the surgeon's work :S
  • Sorry to hear your having some pain. I do know that I was warned 6-12 weeks after sx (surgery) can be more painful when there is scar tissue possibly adhering to the nerves and bone. I forget the name of this particular type of scar tissue complication. It's one of the reasons for the directive to walk, walk and walk. I was told short stints are more important than doing a single long. It's the total time that is the key. So far,for me, pain is so much better after the 11 hours of my sx that I would do it again in a new york minute.
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

No, I don't think you should be further along. I had only a 1-lvl TLIF and am five months out today. I'm just now starting to feel better.

Healing from lumbar surgery takes a long time, it's major surgery and like it's been said, there was a major assault on your body, the core of your body, no less.

So take your time and try to be patient. Take it easy, adhere to restrictions and walk then you can. Don't risk further damage by doing things you shouldn't. You don't want to have to do this again...ugh!

Take care,
    Cath
  • I wouldn't be too worried about stopping your pain pills as they help with the pain so you can get out to walk and may also need them for Physiotherapy when your Dr. clears you to go. I hope you heal completely. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • jellyhall is right check with your doctor first.
    i too believe advil has negative affects on the fusion process, i believe if your gonna try something else it should be tylenol,
    im taking norco and from what i've been told norco is a viocidin/tylenol mixture for a lack of better description.
    so definitely check first.
    my best to you
  • Thanks - now that I just took a few!!! I will check with the doctor before I take any more!!! Just want to stop using oxycodone - don't know why - am not addicted - but...
  • Hysterectomies over fusion - that is so encouraging, but I thank you for your frankness - because I feel like this should be so better by now - and I want to drive!!!
  • I am a very compulsive person and never learned how to give myself permission to just take the time!! Trying tho. Thanks for the input - I appreciate it.
  • The pain meds do make it easier to walk - didn't think of that. Thanks.
  • I was on pain medicine for a couple of months after my fusion. Please don't rush going off the pain medicine as it makes it easier for you to continue your walking and exercises. You'll have no problem weaning off your medicine. Your surgeon will help you with this. I believe Advil is not a recommended pain medicine after fusion for up to a year. Definitely contact your surgeon on this. It's a long recovery and requires a lot of patience.

Welcome to spine health.

Best wishes,

Marianne
advertisement