Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hubby is beginning to have problems with bowel control

beaverbbeaver Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Spinal Stenosis
He is waiting for an operation but lately he has been having troubles with bowel control. It's not that he has no control but that he has to go immediately when he has to go! He is also experiencing bloating in his stomach and has a lot of stomach gas. Is this a symptom of spinal stenosis?

• Beaver, I think you should let your surgeon know about this development right away -- but I'm fairly sure he'll want your husband to consult with a gastroenterologist, who specializes in the digestive system. If he wants your husband to do this, ask your surgeon to recommend one and ask if his office can arrange for an appointment as quickly as possible. The gastroenterologist (also called a G.I. after his gastrointestinal specialty) can perform tests to make sure there is no obstruction or other problem that is causing your husband's symptoms.

But do move on this quickly, especially if a surgery date is approaching.

I wish you and your husband the best..
  • He feels it is a combination of nerves-my guy is kind of prone to that- and the balancing act of pain killers and measures to avoid constipation. Hubby tends to overdo a remedy- if one bowl of bran buds will help then why not have huge bowl? And so he over does it and runs literally into trouble the other way. I just so wish this next two weeks were over as I can see his mobility becoming so limited.
  • Have the same thing. And I think it is related due to I experience the same condition with my bowls.
  • He is now back to normal after the operation so I guess our family doctor was correct. Saint I hope yours is resolved also.
  • Hi,

I have had surgery twice for stenosis and i had trouble with my kiddneys. By the time i had the urge to go i was already going. The doctor said that the nerve that controled bladder control was compromised causing the problem. It may be the same for bowels I dont know. My last operation was nov 2009 and i am still having back pain and urination trouble. Make sure to ask the doctor it could be unrelated. I hope this helped.