Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Tumor Radiation Treatment

Bill RBBill R Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone, I'd like to hear from someone that has had radiation treatment for spinal hemangiomas if possible. How effective was it? How bad are the side effects, etc.

I have 6 (2 upper, 2 middle and 2 lower back) of these hemangiomas now with 2 bulged discs L-2 & L-4
(i'm not worried about the discs right now). One encompassed my entire T-10 vertibrae and peticle. The
surgeon told me if we didn't find this and I let it go the vertibrae would have collapsed and more than likely would have killed me. I know hemangiomas are usually pretty harmless but mine are growing quickly so the Oncologist wants to do radiation treatment instead of the usual embolization (ethanol injection). They did do an embolization in my T-10 in January, but it's not dead, so they want to go this way instead.

My story in one sentence, Microdisketomy (2003), Laminectomy (03), Spinal Cage fusion on L5-S1(04),
80 injections (05), spinal stimulator installation (05), revision (06), revision (07), removal (09)
and now T-10 embolization & pedicle "grinding" (10).

Any help would be apprectiated.

• I guess I'll update this as I go threw the process for somone else's benefit in the future.

My radiation treatment starts next Tuesday but I met with the radiation therapists today (I have two). They had me get into position in the machine and marked X's on me to pin point where they will be directing the "beams" of radiation.
    This will last 3 weeks and be done every day except Saturday and Sunday's. I was told by the 3rd week I will be extremely fatiuged along with a very sore throat, esophogus and diahera/nausea. I'm at 182 pounds right now and I'm guessing i'll be loosing some weight from not eating because of the nasuea and the stress of the whole situation. I'm terrified and I hope this works.

• Bill - I am sorry that I cannot offer you any insight or advice but I do wish you the best. I hope evetything goes well for you!

• Sorry Bill, that I can't offer any help other than support for what you are going through.

Hope someone will be able to answer your questions.

I hope that all goes well for you :-)
  • Thanks for the nice words.

My case is an unusual one, the doctors said they've never seen Hemangiomas this agressive before. They are basically eating my vertebraes up like a cavity in a tooth.
    I'm having pretty severe panic attacks dailey. I have one tumor in my neck and when I move my head I hear a crack and then i'm frozen for about ten minutes because I know if I try and move, my neck will break. Eventually I'll talk myself out of it or say the hell with it and if it breaks so be it. I cannot wait for all this to be over, good or bad.

• I had my first treatment yesterday. It was pretty nerve racking but I made it through.

Afterwards I was horribly nauseas and my throat burned and I was extremley dizzy. The wife and mother wanted to go out to eat and we did. I forced the food down and then went home to rest. I fell asleep around 3:00 pm and slept until my alarm at 5:45 am the next day. I think it safe to say this sucks the energy right out of you.

I have another one scheduled today at 2:45 pm and that will be my usual time for the next 3 weeks. I'll update more as I go.

• Bill, I'm praying for you today as you have your second treatment. How many treatments will you need to have?

Hope that it goes well and that you are more relaxed today. Make sure you do get plenty of rest afterwards.

Praying that this will work to deal with the hemangiomas. :-)

You can do this Bill!!
    We are cheering you on =D>
    Do let us know how it progresses.
  • Sending prayers for a complete and speedy recovery! I will also pray that those around you are compassionate as they provide your treatments.

Know we are here with you, wishing you the very, very best!