Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

blazerblazer Posts: 785
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Recovering from Surgery
After reading Sleeprgirl and B52 threads and i didnt want to hijack their threads i have a question.
Is it a possibilty that some people dont fuse at all.
i dont want to put the cart before the horse here, but i had a 2 level fusion 10 weeks post-op; on 6/8/10 i m getting my first post-op xrays and i too have a very physically demanding job.
im a local union semi-truck driver and if i dont fuse im gonna have to get in line for their yacht cruise.
meaning i cant do what i have been doing for the past 28 years, if there are restrictions from the docter.
mine is work comp. so i quess they could buy me out if it came to that.
like i said dont wanna put cart before the horse but now it has me wondering?
anyone know if this is possible. thanks
my best to ya'll

• Good afternoon Jim!!

Unfortunately, smoke, don't smoke, eat well, don't eat well, exercise, don't exercise, .... <--- I put that in here first because for some, no matter what you do, even if everything to the "T" as directed, fusions do fail for some. Can it happen to you? Sure it can. Is that what is happening with you? Hopefully not.

I know it is scary to even think of the possibilities, but you don't want to wonder before you know, okay? I was good for the first few months after my last cervical fusion, then everything started to fall apart again. My fusion failed - sort of! In the fusion area, there must have been stress from the different hardware (see my avatar), my fusion cracked in concert with the screws on the bottom of my prior fusion. The bottom of it fused wonderfully.

Please don't worry until or unless it is warranted. I would focus that energy instead that your surgery and recovery are good unless you are told otherwise. As has been said on this site over and over... "The reason you see more negatives reference fusion, surgery, recovery etc., is because those who healed well, they have moved forward with their lives. No longer need this site for support and are moving on." Try not to worry Jim. Take care. Support *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Brenda is right...don't worry until you have something to worry about. Use our threads as a tool.

Yes, I am very concerned about my fusion, but now I must concentrate on doing everything I can do to hasten the fusion along. The meter is running...time for more calcium!! :-)

You take care of yourself!!!

• brenda and lisa;
    I know i shouldnt create false ghosts, and if it comes to that point of the healing phase then i will handle it accordingly. Just gives me something else to worry about.
    guess im lucky at least, because im getting part of my comp. check each week until i can return to work which i need cause i still have young people to support and take care of. My kids are what keep me going, and i know which ever way this healing process turns i'll still be able to take care of them.
    Got more good news today 'uncle sam' is auditing me because of the ALIMONEY i pay each week. my ex-wife decided she wanted to be 21 y/o again after 23 years of marriage so she is getting $26,000 thousand a year out of my paycheck, and 'uncle sam' wants me to prove it. That will not be a problem tho because i have all the papers locked up in my safe, to show proof. Just a pain in the a**. Oh well take it as it comes. Sorry this was so long got carried away.
    My Best to you.
  • Jim,

Greetings once again! :) Remember, "ghosts" are just that, transparent, hard to catch (G), done and gone!

They have no place in your positive attitude for good solid healing. I do fully understand your taking interest in those at present with issues with fusions. That is a mark of a smart person, but you don't want to worry over something that has yet (if ever hopefully) to materialize. Okay?

Sorry about the 'ex' and what is going on there. Even though you have issues with her, remember you did once love her. :)

• thank you brenda and yes i always try to keep a postive attitude. just kinda hard sometimes.
    As for my 'ex' yes i did love her and truth be told,I still do. unfortunally she decided that while i was working a 10 to 12 hour day which is typical for truckdrivers, she wanted to start hanging out at the local bar until closing time.before coming home, then got to a point where she didnt come home, then decided she wanted a divorce.(in illinois adultry is illegal but it is not enforced) thats what the lawyers and judge told me. oh well its water under the bridge
    thanks and my best
    She knows i still love her,just dont care.
  • Jim,

Believe me, I know what you mean about trying to stay positive. That's me in a nutshell. Is it easy, NOPE, but doable! I figure with the time you are out of surgery, continue to baby yourself when you can, rest and follow your doctors instructions. Don't overdue and hopefully your body will do its repair work properly!

The ex... Nodding, I've had friends with similar results when they worked long hours to give the other half a good life. I am sure your mate is out there somewhere! :) :) :)

• brenda

sorry about my rambling on, i just get worked up when i think about how wrong i was done by her and the laws. There is alot wrong with some of our laws but the politicans dont do anything about them unless they are affected by them i did talk to local state represevtive about it also.

Not even looking,i got my kids thats all i need.

my best to you and thank you
  • Ok this is a good/bad one. If it turns out that you can't go back to driving you go out on disability retirement. Then you petition the courts to get physical custody of the kids since you will be home all the time. And she would have to pay you support!!

We have a friend who had this happen. His ex had to move out of their house and pay him support for the kids and half the mortgage.

So just remember there is usually a bright side to every cloud - you just have to look really hard sometimes.

• my youngest is now 17 y/o (daughter) my ex assumed she would have custody and also get child support.
    not happening i fought that it court and had to pay for a (guardian ad lieden) lawyer who interviewed all of us and recommened joint custody which i got.
    so no child support being paid.
    i also secured in divorce papers she was responsible for half the house payment til it sold (she moved out) there is a court order i have to put house up for sale (i havent yet),. because i would never be able to afford another place byself on what i get from my paycheck. so i guess if she takes me to court for that i'll deal with it then.
    that court order dates 01/09 so i am probably pushing my luck there.
    i've always worked a 55 to 60 hour week so she could stay home and raise our children properly and they would be good kids and now it has come back to bite me in the a**
    my daughter is with me even on the weeks her mom has her because her mom is sitting in the bar. I asked the lawyer about this and he said it makes no difference.
    the law and the lawyers dont care one bit they just wanna get their big paychecks and go home.
    Anyway thank you for your responce, sorry about me going on i just am pi**ed about this situation.
    something i have to deal with no one ever said life is fair.
    My Best to you and thanks again.

• How are you doing in your recovery?

I have an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow and hopefully will find out if I have started to fuse yet. He took x-rays 4 weeks ago, but I didn't get the results. I was very disappointed! I had looked forward to finding out, and then had to wait another month. Tomorrow is the day. I hope I am not disappointed!! :S

Good luck with your results on Tuesday. :-)
    Let us know.
  • im coming along, i guess at the expected pace.
    thinking about you too, how is your recovery coming along.
    on tuesday i got appt with pain doctor, and i get my first xrays, neuro told me to have them put on a disc so i'll be able to see them right away.
    i did have an appt with neuro on 6/10, and then probably get started on p.t. but i rescheduled to 6/17 because my daughter is having eye surgery on 6/10.
    my daughter had a horrible accident at home in 11/04 and got stuck in her right eye with a screwdriver now she has almost no sight in her right eye.
    she had 2 surgerys in 11/04, and doctors said we had to wait til she was older til they could do more surgerys to hopefully give her sight back in that eye.
    first surgery they will be suturing in a artifical lens and hopefully over time she gets back her vision then they have to do another surgery to cut her eye muscles and recenter her eye.
    doctors said there is no guarantee but we have to try something so she dont have to live her life like that. and while she is still covered by my insurance.
    let me know tomorrow how your xrays look and i'll let you know tuesday what my xrays look like.
    My Best to you & good luck
  • your poor daughter! She is 17, isn't she?

I will pray for her, that this surgery will be successful and achieve what they hope. Is she very nervous about it?

I think I am doing very well compared with many, but this is a slow process.

I am definately getting more movement back, but must be careful not to overdo it!
    My physio told me last week that ideally I should wait to return to work for the new school year in September, rather than the July, that I had hoped for. (August is summer break) I think this is because I have to do a lot of bending in my job as a teaching assistant.

I am trying to do some of the things that I had planned to do now. Initially, I just couldn't get down to doing anything for very long. I want to feel that I have achieved a few things after such an extended time off work! I have written a story for my granddaughter (3) and am now working on illustrating it.

You take good care and we'll compare x-ray results soon :D
  • 17; and she is very excited about getting this surgery. it was explained to her what to expect and she is ready for it, so just praying that it is a success.
    ever since i messed up my knee at work in 02/04 it has been downhill full steam ahead.
    so im figuring our luck is due to take a turn for the better.
    glad your getting movement back and i hope it keeps getting better. your best to just take as much time as possible staying home to recover.
    my movement is a little better, im figuring after i start p.t. it should start improving more, wait and see.
    im a truckdriver so i dont know when i'll be able to go back to that if ever again wait and see.
    yes we will after we meet with doctors, so heres keeping our fingers crossed.
    My Best to you & talk later