Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

mel v.mmel v. Posts: 59
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone, I'm kind of new to the forum. I had an L4/L5 fusion with a lami/decompression on May 19th in NYC. I'm starting my 3rd week and doing pretty good. Starting walking a bit more this week. Trying to increase every day or every other day. Had my stitches out on Monday June 1st but had some bleeding from the incision the next day. Doctor explained that there was some sort of hematoma right near the incision and it just had to drain. What a mess. Soaked thru two shirts twice. But no more bleeding today. Pain seems to be managed pretty well. I'm taking tylenol, dilaudid, and lyrica. Thank you guys for all your support. Stay tuned. Will write in again.

• So pleased that you are feeling better already :D
    Keep going with the walking. It really helps our recovery in lots of ways; increasing blood flow (which aids healing), stretching nerves, strengthening muscles and increasing stamina.
    I'm so pleased to hear how you are doing.

I have started physiotherapy now, so feel like I'm moving onto the next stage.
    PT was very pleased how my recovery is going and said I had good range of movement in several areas :-)
    I see the surgeon next Monday to see if I have started to fuse yet. :S
  • Glad to hear you're recovering well after your surgery and able to walk more. I hope the incision heals up. I hope you feel better more and more each day.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Keep up the great recovery!
    Walking is so good for you...doesn't have to be long distances but if you can walk periodically throughout the day it really does help.

I had a revision microdiscectomy (2nd surgery) on L5-S1 which is to remove the herniated disc material and I'm about 4 months post op. If I slack on walking for too many days, i find I am more achy and cranky b/c of the aches. Walking has become my friend!

Keep us posted.
  • YaY!! So happy to hear your recovery is going well!

Keep walking building your endurance throughout the day!

We are here to cheer you on!! :)

Wishing you the best!
  • Mel V., it's good to hear that you're doing well this soon after your surgery! As everyone advocates, walking even little bits sure makes most of us feel good. It's just good to hear some good news. Keep the good healing.

Ride it like ya stole it,
  • Good to hear from you and that you're doing well.

As others are saying, keep walking as much as is comfortable for you. I even had to walk up and down the patio during the night because I couldn't get comfortable, and it helped.

Keep taking things steadily and hoping the rest of your recovery goes smoothly.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008