Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain near battery

rdavismrrdavism Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:44 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I am new to this site and it is wonderful to find a group of people with SCS experience. I have had mine for 10 months. In the last month I have had tenderness around my battery which is in my right buttock. I can't wear some jeans that I could wear before because the pressure of the waistband hurts, it awoke me during the night this week, etc. I don't think I have infection (no other symptoms) and it feels like an irritated muscle. I have lost about 15 pounds since it was implanted - don't know if that would have impacted it any. Have any of you experienced anything like this? (have left message at neurosurgeon's office).
Thanks,
Rebecca
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to Spine Health. I have found that depending upon what activity I do, how much bending or walking I do or what clothes I wear, I can irritate the IPG pocket. It generally calms down with an good anti-inflammatory and some ice. I've had mine now for 2 years and I can tell whether I've done too much by the way my anchors or IPG pocket feel. I just back off the activity, take some Celebrex and ice things down. Next day I'm good to go.

The IPG is stitched into place inside the pocket. So it is fairly easy to pull or tug on things even depending on the chair you sit in and for how long.

Let us know what your doc has to say.

"C"
  • To Spine Health and the world of us SCS people...

As "C" says, it can be over activity, stretching, bending even sitting or laying on it wrong. Mine usually stays sore for a few days when it decides it doesn't like something I've done. It never hurts to run it past your doctor and be sure everything is OK.

I'd like to say that, "yes, depending on your starting weight, losing as little as 15lbs can effect the amount of cushion under your SCS".

The IPG has to be close to the surface for the charging to work properly, when you lose weight some of the fat or muscle cells under the IPG can be lost and that leaves it with less wiggle room.

I'd love to lose 15lbs...+ another 40 or so.

I just can't seem to get it in gear to do so.
  • Thanks so much for your responses. I talked to neurosurgeon's nurse today and we concluded that it most likely is scar tissue stretching/tearing as the unit is being surrounded by scar tissue (she said that is what they want to happen as it anchors it in place) and she also said the weight loss probably is also related.

I lost 60 pounds this past year and have reached my target weight (hoping that weight loss would reduce the sitting pain I had so I could keep my career). It didn't help with the sitting pain but at least I am in better physical health.

Thanks again!