Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

mjyfgslmmjyfgsl Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
What do you do when you cannot leave the house ,cannot sit for more than 10 minutes and are bored out of your mind ?

• Watch a lot of movies! Boredom is a big issue! I spent a lot of time on my laptop!

And sometimes I think I just exsisted.

Before this surgery, I was always on the go, didn't stop and rarely sat still.

These past 13 weeks, I have had to learn how to be still!

Good luck! Shari
  • Ah the infamous boredom.
    I got a laptop holder I could use lying down. PM me if you want the maker of it. From there, watched movies, read a lot of this site and a few of my other chat boards. I tried to read but the drugs make you sleepy.

So I planned my day around drinking a lot of water through a straw so i'd have to get up to pee and then walk.

once I got back the 2-3 week mark, i was still not allowed to drive and was to limit my time in the car so my husband would take me out every other day for a 'car ride' to get coffee 2 miles up the road. Pathetic but getting out was cool!

Read, Crosswords, Word Search, Soduko (which I don't like), laptop to find stuff to purchase or read, movies....and a lot of sleep!

You'll learn how to get past the boredom.
    It's definitely an adjustment.
  • I've found that because I don't sleep well at night, I tend to doze a lot during the day. Also, TV and movies and I move from couch to chair to walk around the house to bed to floor and back. I wish this speedy recovery was much more speedy as I have a hard time with this recovery process.

Keep your chin up & Good luck! One day at a time!
  • Hi, I am 2 1/2 weeks post-op PILF L4/L with decompression and laminectomy. I understand boredom. I've been trying to train my "westie" to roll over and other fun tricks. I've also called upon my friends to come over. I try to parcel them out one every other day for an hour or so. I'm in your same situation. Can only sit for 10-20 mins., lie down (usually fall asleep in 10 mins.) or walk around. I'm still having a nurse pop by every other day for wound care, PT guys once a week for 1/2 hour and home health aide twice a week to help with household stuff. If you find a really good use of time for boredom, let me know. Too bad we don't live close by to each other. ~X( I live 25 mins west of NYC. Where do you live?
    Best, mel v.
  • Netflix saved my life when I was recovering! I spent a lot of time in the recliner catching up on all those movies & series I wanted to watch when I didn't have time. Good luck!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    With our tons of cable channels I had my schedule of what I liked each day, made each day go fast. Luckily I love TV and all kinds of channels.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I too am a very active person, and even though I haven't been able to work for 6 months, I still get up every 20 minutes to break the boredom. At least when I have my fusion on the 29th, I can get some of these items to help pass the time.

• We long to have more time, then when we have it, we get bored! :?

I had so many plans of things I wanted to do, but when it came to it (in early days), I just couldn't do anything for very long.

Now I watch films, read books, puzzles, friends round and am in the process of illustrating a book that I have written for my granddaughter.

At the end of all this time, I want to be able to look at at least a few things that I managed to achieve.
  • 25 minutes east of NYC
  • I've been watching a lot of tv ,network and cable .I call friends and one has been visiting but its still so boring
  • My Nintendo DS was my lifesaver during the boring recovery process. Lots of different games to play and it kept my mind busy.

• Here is a old article that was published on sh you may find useful. http://www.spine-health.com/blog/surgery/56-things-do-while-recovering-surgery

Also you may find our chat some use talking with others whom are going through the same as yourself. Take care and hope your feeling better.