Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just had my discotomy yesterday

MeeshaMMeesha Posts: 55
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I just had my surgery yesterday, and so far feeling great. But I'm glad I've read these forums a lot, and know to take it easy. I felt some leg pain last night after sleeping on the same side for so long, but switched to my back and was better. Other than that the leg and buttocks pain is gone (for now).
I've only taken 1 percocet today and 1 last night. The incision is just sore, but not an acute pain. I don't think I want to mask the pain completely, so I make sure to take care. They said the anaesthetic in that area would be there for 8-10 hours only.
I don't know how much walking I should do though, but I have to try to walk more I guess. I didn't get to talk to my surgeon since the surgery - I hope to get in touch with him soon. How much walking have others been able to do? I don't want scar tissue forming from too much inactivity.
discectomy in June 2010 - success! No sciatic pain, just some remaining numbness in foot. And I get charlie horses a lot.

• Welcome to the other side. For the next few days do what feels good. Keep up on the meds because you need to rest to heal. Walking around the house every so often is a great idea again if it feels good.

Talk to the doctors PA or nurse. If there are no restrictions on your discharge paper you are good to go.
  • Hey there...congrats on getting through the surgery.
    I'm like you, I tried to keep meds to minimum. Luckily with the 2nd surgery I was able to very easily.

I think you can ask your doctor or PA about how much to walk.

The only things I learned was that the bed (lying on your back with a pillow under your knees; or on your side with a pillow b/t your needs) was much better for the lumbar than a recliner. Aside from that, drink water b/c it helps things "move" in your digestive system as does the short 10 min walks every 1-2 hours. And I'm guessing you know not to sit for too long...I used to save "sitting" for my meals.

Keep us updated on your progress. Sounds like you are doing good.