Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sex after Microdiskectomy

greenkeyggreenkey Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:44 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had a microdiskectomy at L5-S1 10 days ago. After the worst flareup of my life down my left leg the night after surgery (which sent me to the ER), I am feeling pretty good. One thing my doc didn't discuss with me is sex. Since I see from reading through this forum a bit that this particular surgery is quite common, I wondered if anyone has any advice about how long to wait. I'm missing my husband a lot LOL

thanks so much!

advertisement

Comments

• welcome to spine health by the way
    first let me say that even tho you are out of pain .do forget that your back will take about a year to heal properly ..as for sex ..resume as soon as you feel up for it BUT exercise caution as you may damage yourself even more and that's the last thing that you want ..just be careful and stop if in pain
    STRAKER
  • I also had the same, and have had intercourse already. I am 2 weeks out. I just don't really do anything to make myself hurt, lol. I was never told to/not to have intercourse after the surgery!
  • I also had the same, and have had intercourse already. I am 2 weeks out. I just don't really do anything to make myself hurt, lol. I was never told to/not to have intercourse after the surgery!
  • I can't remember if my doctor advised me not to have sex right after surgery. However, during my first check-up the nurse practioner talk to me about it. Just be careful. I don't think I even wanted to have sex during the first two weeks of recovery because I was scared and had pain at the incision site.

Call your doctor and ask. I'm sure this is a very common question.
  • Man you guys that want to engage in intercourse after just 2 weeks post op. Boy, you sure are brave. I would be afraid of doing something to mess up the surgery. WOW!!!!! More power to ya but I think I am staying away from sex until I totally know that EVERYTHING has healed correctly and there is nor chance of pain afterwards.
  • Hi Paula

I am having a really hard time with Ticker Maker.Can you help me or guide me to someone else who can?
    As far as sex I agree with you.
    Thanks
  • BackToWorkBBackToWork Upstate NYPosts: 31
    No one on the medical staff ever brought up the topic of sex. I believe it's all Good, Good, Good! I believe it promotes healing... and of course healthy, happy relations, especially while going through the whole experience, beginning to end.

We talk a lot... usually plan ahead... are very careful and have fun with our imaginations.

If the libido is there... don't let the moment slip away..
advertisement