Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

X spot insert

jcarp007jjcarp007 Posts: 1
I have had pain in my left leg (front thigh) since January. Tried a number of pain medication up to percocet and gabapentin. Has an e-ray and MRI done. Was scheduled for a epidural shot june 21st. In the mean time saw the surgeon who set surgery for the 19th. I apparently have a buldge in the L-1 & L-2 area with a small bone (or such) spir that "may be cause the pain. The surgeon would go in and remove the small (peanut sized) spir and clean up the buldges. He and my PCP recommend the epidural first. From a purely logical standpoint that does not make sense. It may mast the pain, but how can it fix them problem? I am leaning toward the surgery top fix the problem. Others are telling me to get a 2nd opinion that may consider the "X SPOT insert between the discs.

Any suggestions?

• Hi John

I was and am in the same spot as you. When I had the microD at T1 they wanted me to try ESI first. I asked if this could be a permanent cure and they admitted no it wasn't. SInce I was covered under no-fault car insurance I only had 3 years from the date of the accident. After that it's my insurance paying. So I choose to have the surgery right away.

Now I am facing a fusion of the same level because there is more bone that needs to come out. Again I'm being referred to a PM doc to consider ESI or a mylegram. I spoke with my neurologist again last week and told him I was not sure I wanted the ESI since this again will only be temporary. The only reason I might do it is if it works (only 50% do by their numbers) then we would know for sure that this is causing all of the problems. I also have some osteophytes in my cervical but neither doc thinks these are a problem.

Again I am still on this time line from no-fault. Now I have less than 2 years before they would stop paying. It's important because they will pay lost wages as well as the medical bills.

There is a belief that an ESI can "flush" the area of debris and also reduce swelling. Again ESI only works 50% of the time according to the studies and there are some small risks.

Only you know what is best for you. If the surgeon was ready to operate he must feel there is something he can do.
  • I understand how you feel. I had an epidural done last year. I was hoping my disk would "heal" during the time the epidural was working, no luck. now I am think that since it hasn't healed in a year and a half that surgery is the only real option to fix it.

since you have a bone spur I'm guessing that those never heal without surgery to remove them.It is a pain in the butt to have the pain keep coming back after every couple of months or so, it would be nicer to have it gone for good. BUT surgery on the back is risky and the more complcated it is the riskier.

I'm no doctor everything I say is just my opinion!
  • But there are risks to surgery as well, that's the problem. There is always a risk/benefit to both, which is why the treatment cascade calls for conservative treatment before surgery.

My surgeon, who is pretty well respected, has said that any time you are messing with removing bone the risks increase. By risks, he means risks that the situation is worse after, not better. Then there are risks of life threatening infection, the risk inherent in anesthesia, etc.

Have you watched the video on disk herniations on this site? Sometimes if you can reduce the stress on the site, they can heal on their own. So through conservative treatment and physical therapy, you could reduce the pain to a manageable level and not do surgery. That was the goal in my case, and my situation is much worse than yours. I was quite hopeful to avoid surgery altogether, because I did not want to risk the surgery, and did not want to go through the likely 6-12 month recovery period.

I highly recommend the article and associated videos: