Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

mel v.mmel v. Posts: 59
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, Having bad bowels and being on DILAUDID which is morphine, makes for a bad out come or no out come. I have discovered FLAX SEEDS. Buy regular flax seeds at your Whole Food Store or Vitamin shop and grind them up in a coffee grinder and put two tablespoons in a glass or water or sprinkle over cereal in the morning it produces RELIEF. Do this twice a day, and there are no worries in the bowel movement department. Which is one worry-some item of my list while healing from my recent PLIF fusion of L4/L5. Easy and doesn't taste horrible. Cheers!! >:D<

• sorry about your problem .get yourself some movicl.if you are in the uk you can get large amounts on script .i dont know about usa .but i should imagine that its available over there too .
  • My husband buys flax seed powder from the bulk food store. I will give it a try. It beats Milk of Magnesia!
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Milk of magnesia is so gross. Flax seed helps, but I eat a fairly high fiber diet anyway. If I have any trouble in that department, I use a bit of Colace or mix Benefiber with my coffee or water.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Hi Charry,

Just to let you know that if you want to get the most benefit from flax seed (Linseed), including the Omega 3, you need to grind it freshly as Omega 3 is destroyed by light, heat and air.

You also need to drink LOTS of water with it because it soaks up lots of liquid. It does keep you regular though.

Glad to hear that it has helped you Mel :D

• Works well too, sprinkle on top of cereal, yogurt, salad about 1-2 tablespoons. I get a 2 # bag from the health food store and it under $3.50. I do keep it refrigerated since it does take a long while to get thru the bag.

• In pill form on a daily basis or in liquid form to break up constipation. I find it easier on my stomach/abdominal than Colace, Phillips, etc.. It is also cheaper. A 100 count bottle can be had for less than $10. The liquid for emergencies is less than $2.
  • MOM is great in a pinch though, I will try the flax seeds, Miralax is great also its not like Dulcolax, its alot more natural, not as violent like Dulcolax can be. :S
  • After surgery I got really backed up I found good results with Miralax. It wasn't the best tasting but better than others. I would definately use it again. To help keep me regular I use the Fiber Choice chewable fiber pills they help keeps things moving... :0)