Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 year post acdf c 5-7 severe left shoulder arm elbow pain

sinatrafan44ssinatrafan44 Posts: 64
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Chronic Pain
It will be a year tomorrow since I had my ACDF surgery..At the time of surgery both of my arms were going numb, with more prominent numbness pain, and weakness being on my left side..8 months prior to surgery was in a car accident where i suffered whiplash and mild central cord syndrome.Was hospitalized 3 days and given steroid treatment..My left side at time of accident showed more pronounced weakness and hyper reflexabilty. 1 year post surgery the numbness is completely gone but I have terrible bouts of shoulder, middle back, upper arm, elbow and wrist pain..it is only on the left side..I have been treated with gabapentin,lyrica, oxycodone..These have only masked the pain which now seems to be constant with days of tolerable pain to those that even the pain meds will not touch..My primary care doc thinks fibromyalgia...It could be..I am calling for an appt with the neurosurgeon..It is weird..symptoms only on left side, narcotics and nerve pain meds not effective..I am afraid to get an MRI for fear of more damage..I am also concerned that it may be the spinal damage and that nothing will help it..

Has anyone had similar symptoms following ACDF or have any insights into this..thanks for any thoughts..Amy

• I had ACDF March 2009, did pretty good for a few short months and then crashed and burned. I had all of my pain in my right arm prior to sugery and now all of the sudden out of no where, and over a year later, my left arm starts the numbness/tingling/pain, etc.

And pretty much anything the doctors give you is just going to mask the pain, which is very frustrating when you think about it because you want to be "fixed" not cover it up with meds, but then again it is better for them to try and do that to at least try to make you a little more comfortable and see if things start getting better than for them to jump the gun and start cutting on you.

I see my pain doctor today so we will see. I have a feeling he will send me for another MRI to see what is going on. Ugh, I dread even knowing if there is something wrong.

Take care
  • guess that's why everyone in "my many many medical providers world I have now" keep telling me "gotta give it time, 11-35 mos - but whoda thought it would be this constant of a 24 hour a day PAIN?!@^&
    I did do another mri & it showed ALOT of STRESS still from the surgery - it was all cloudy & showed neck spine was all out of whack due to it, & to give it time to settle - unbelievable - something surgeons fail to mention
    sorry to hear you had a surgeon like mine - does not help for a more speedy recovery - I know that mine & Mels recovery has been constant pain the entire time, from reading her posts & seeing all she's been through trying to find an answer & get some relief... I was right behind her in this ever so painful journey
This discussion has been closed.