Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Clothing after SCS Permanent Surgery

suegreessuegree Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
My doctor told me that my back incision for the leads will be at the level of my bra. Any tips on what to wear in public since I probably won't be able to wear a bra for a time?

How long does the pain last from the permanent surgery?
I have loose knit shorts and t-shirts but nothing that buttons in the front.

• For quite a while I didn't like anything that had to be pulled on and off over my head unless it was so over sized that it was easy to get in and out of. One thing I found very comfortable to wear was scrubs. I had a bunch of them from work and just wore my larger ones and they were much more comfortable. Also the ladies ribbed tank tops were comfortable.

Loose knit shorts and t's should work fine.

Everyone tends to have a different experience with pain from the permanent implant. I was uncomfortable for about 3 days and then on day 4 I was out and about riding the subway, riding in a car, and walking around. I had only tylenol and an anti-inflammatory for pain and did just great. After about 3 or 4 weeks I only had minor discomfort from the IPG pocket if I wore the wrong clothes.

Good luck with your implant.

• Is your SCS for the cervical or lumbar? If its for the lumbar, I'm curious as to why your Doctor would place the leads so high. Mine is for my legs and my leads are on the low side, t11/t12 and t12/l1. Normally the leads are a little higher, mid to lower thoracic. My leads were tunnelled from the lumbar area around l3/l4.

Good luck with your surgery.

• It's lumbar, but everything needs to be addressed from my waist down. According to my doctor, that thoracic level is a major trunk line for all the nerves below the waist.

• Sue-
    I have 3 leads at T8 for lower back, hip, and thigh coverage. My incision begins just below the band of my bra. It never interfered with me wearing a bra. The surgery center staff even helped me put my bra on over the top of the saran wrap like dressing that covered a much larger area than just the incision itself.

I did wear more button up shirts than anything and my husband did help me into my bra every day, but that was because I couldn't manage the twisting acrobatics it takes to put a bra on even under normal circumstances.

As for bottoms, I didn't wear snug pants or jeans for a while because of the battery pocket in my hip. Keeping the abdominal binder in place mandated elastic-waisted bottoms so I could shimmy the darn binder back down when I stood up.

The majority of the surgical pain had passed within a week, with marked improvement after day 3 post-op. My battery pocket burned off and on for about a month and now only gets upset when I slouch in a tar pit of a couch or some other unsupportive chair.

• :)
    Thank you for your detailed reply. You answered my questions exactly!
    I was concerned about how prepared I had to be if I couldn't wear a bra. I mostly have t-shirts.
    I think my level will be the same one. My doctor said it would be the thoracic level controlling the same levels as yours.

Which SCS do you have? I'm going to get the ANS Eon mini. I'm small so I didn't want to get one any bigger.

I'm waiting for the insurance approval.