Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

x-ray question

blazerblazer Posts: 784
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:44 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Has this happened to anyone else.
had my first post-op x-rays today, and when they had me lay on x-ray table laying on that hard surface i was seeing stars and was yelling in pain. the pain was all in my spine.
x_ray tech came running in asked what was wrong and i told her i cant lay on this hard surface.
then had a hard time turning on to my side. got that done and it was time to get off the table,
I couldnt sit up on my own told her to just grab my arm and behind my neck and pull me up. in lots of pain.
Is it just me or has anyone else been in this kind of pain getting post-op x-rays
dont have that happen in a soft bed. the pain was unreal. is this something to be concerned about
thanks ya'll
advertisement

Comments

• Jim,

I haven't had surgery in the lumbar yet, but I can NOT lay on my back on a firm surface, so I sort of know how you're feeling there. My thoracic and neck put their 2 cents in as well if I try to get up! Lying on my side for a minute or so, can do, but more than that, pain starts there as well.

The last time I went, they gave me a pillow for under the small of my back and under my legs. Still a bugger to get up, but I could stay still for a couple of minutes with them doing this for me. See if they can get you pillows next time. Sorry it was so painful for you.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • and thanks, but i've never had that happen until i injured my back. my spine felt the same as when i was getting my pre-op x-rays. i thought that would go away after the surgery. excruicating pain directly in the spine.
    I dont know if its part of the healing or what, i just know my spine was not a happy camper.

thanks and my best
  • blazer said:
    and thanks, but i've never had that happen until i injured my back. my spine felt the same as when i was getting my pre-op x-rays. i thought that would go away after the surgery. excruicating pain directly in the spine.
    I dont know if its part of the healing or what, i just know my spine was not a happy camper.

thanks and my best
    Jim,

You need to remember that you are still pretty early in the recovery mode. :) Hopefully it will get better as time goes on. It might not be a bad idea of course to let your surgeon know about the pain when you all hook up for your status follow up appointment. Rest and heal....:)

Brenda
  • Heya Jim!

When I have my x-rays, they are done while I am standing.

I still, (13 1/2 weeks) have a hard time laying flat on my back on a padded surface, such as the mat table during PT.

I seriously doubt I could lay on my back on a hard
    x-ray table!

I am surprised they put your on that.

Please be cautious of having someone to help you by putting their arm around your neck! One false or sudden move and your cervical spine could be damaged. Another way would be for them to extend their forarm and you to hold onto that. (sorry, just the therapist in me......)

Hope you are doing well! Shari
  • thank you brenda, i'll try and remember.

shari thats what the lady told me to do, she knew why i was there,and she remembered me from the pre-op x-rays.
    i only know it was and still is right now in excruicating pain.
    i didnt know any better i just wanted to get outta there and i told her to pull me up and she did.
    i see my neuro next week and he will probably start me on therapty, but i 'm not laying on no floor.nope.

thank you and take care
  • Oh my friend, you are so funny! I don't blame you for not wanting to lay on the floor! I don't want to either, not do I think I would be able to....

At PT, they should have elevated mat tables or elevated individual massage type tables. For me they can still be difficult, I have problems with my SI joints. But they can put pillows under your hips, neck, and knees which will help with comfort.

If they ask you to get on the floor, tell them " NO" and walk out the door.

Next week I will be expected to go back to work...I am going to practice getting down on the floor. I think I can get down there, I just not sure I can get back up!

And while I am trying to go back to work, my hubby will be in Vegas for the week for sales "meetings"!! I am not too happy about it, just hope the week goes fast and I am too busy or tired to think about it! It often feels like us spineys frequently draw the "short stick". :(

Hang in there Jim, hope the pain gets better soon!
  • pain increase in my back and a lot of pain in my left leg this morning.
    had a bad nite trying to sleep and really hurt trying to get out of bed, feel like i did before my surgery.
    think i will have to increase pain meds for a few days.
    making matters worse have to have my daughter at hospital 35 miles away at 5;30 tomorrow morning for her eye surgery.
    just praying that what the doctors are saying her outcome will be, actually happens.
    she lost vision in her right eye when she was 12 y/o from a accident at home, keeping our fingers crossed and praying for the best.

best wishes
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,040
    And I still have not been able to lie down flat on my back on a hard surface without discomfort.
    The only way I could for a short period of time was to bend my knees up.

Some people can lie down without pain, and I have also heard of lumbar patients who can lay on the stomachs in bed without discomfort.

So, to some degree, its different with everyone
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • thank you for your comments.
    i was wondering if it was just me or if something in my healing process was going backwards.
    maybe it will get better and maybe not, all i can do is keep my doctor informed and i trust he will tell me whats best for me, cause like you said everyone is different.
    good to see your back with us and we all look forward to hearing from you.

best wishes
  • Heya Jim, I ws thinking of you today while I was at PT. I was on a mat table and was unable to lay without bending my knees and rotating my pelvis so my back was in neutral.

I also had a difficult time sleeping last night. My right hip and SI joint were so painful. That is the side I usually sleep on as my abdominal incision and my bone graph incision are on the left side.

Have you tired icing? or using heat?

I'm sorry, but I can't remember if you are taking any meds for nerve pain, such as neurontin or Lyrica? If so, were you taking it before surgery? Maybe you could talk to your doc about increasing your dose as it does sound like nerve pain.

My PT has suggested the same for me, but with these meds come weight gain, and I have hesitated to talk with my doc as I don't want to gain anymore weight. I am so small, even 5 pounds is significant on my frame.....::(

You could also talk to your surgeon or his PA if it would be okay to show you how to decompress your spine by laying on the bed or sofa with your knees up :) This was a way of resting that Gwennie often referred to, my PT suggested I schedule it into my day. At about 6 weeks, I was having a lot of back and leg pain. Since I started doing this 2-3 times a day with ice, I have felt mush better.

I haven't done it in a couple days and boy did I feel it last night!

I sure hope some of these ideas will be helpful! My best to you!

Will be thinking and praying for you and your daughter tomorrow! It's amazing, I can go through just about anything, except for when it comes to my daughter!

wishing you the best! Shari
  • thank you very much.
    yup im taking neurotin, along with a mixture of other pain meds. i taking 600 mg of neurotin daily, think i'll bump that up to 900 mg. daily.
    i'm not worried about weight gain i'm 5'11 and 195 lbs, so it wont effect me.
    i'll have to try icing see if that works, got a real good machine for icing my back that work comp. paid for.
    it's kinda like a beer cooler with a fan in it and rubber hoses that circulate the ice water thru it while i'm wearing it. i seen what comp. paid for it,$800 dollar machine. i'll fill it up today and see if that helps.
    i know i'll never lay on a hard surface again, the pain was and still is very nasty.
    needed to get my daughter's eye surgery done while she is still covered under my ins. so just praying the surgeons (2 of them) can give her sight back in her eye. (my little baby).

thank you for your prayers and best wishes to you.
  • Hi Jim

I have had 2 spine surgeries in the last year and have never had either pre or post-op x-rays taken laying down, they have always been standing up. I find since my first surgery, I couldn't lay on my stomach any more. After this 2nd surgery, I have a hard time laying either side, I have to have several pillows in just the right place, now I mostly just sleep on my back, something I could never do before surgery. It just wasn't comfortable.

Anyway, ask them next time if they can take your x-rays standing up, in fact, insist on it.

Keeping your daughter in my prayers, I hope her surgery is successful. O:) I know it is hard to watch our babies go through stuff like that.

Take care,
    Pam
  • Hi Jim! Just wanted to let you know you, your daughter and her medical team are in my thoughts and prayers!

I'll be here, watching for your post to let us know how she is doing!

Praying for strength, comfort and a complete recovery!

Hang in there ~ You are one loving and proud daddy! :)

xxxx Shari
  • hi pammie and shari
    yup i was thinking i'm gonna tell my neuro about that next week when i see him and ask him why they told me to lay down pre and post. hopefully he wont be pleased, i know i'm not laying down again.the pain level is still elevated.
    And my daughter might be 17 y/o but she knows she is my baby. stayed up til 10:30 last nite watching black hawks game. then had to get up at 4:15 this morning to take her to hospital. just got home 1 hour ago and this beer taste good. didnt take any pain meds this morn cause i knew i didnt want them affecting me so got my meds done too.
    Surgeons sutured a man-made lens in her right eye, her pupil also got messed up from the injury but they couldnt do anything about that cause of scar-tissue.
    also since she could'nt see out of right eye the muscles in eye got lazy and her eye looks off to the right, so we are hoping if she can see with new lens the muscles will get stronger and go back to normal, if not she will need another surgery where they cut the muscles and position her eye, then suture the muscles back in place.
    she has a long life ahead of her so we have to get it done and hope for the best, and she also wanted it done,we have to try.
    thank you for asking and your concern.
    take care and best wishes to ya'll
  • I've had all my xrays taken while standing. Surely they can work with you next time, you should not have to go thru that kind of pain everytime you need an xray. When do you see your Dr about the xray??

Much luck with your daughter's surgery. Hope that it is a breeze for her, and you are able to tolerate sitting around the hospital. Hope that they can keep the nausea at bay for your daughter. That seems to be a common problem with optic surgery.

I'm thinking of you guys tomorrow!

Lisa
  • yup i'm gonna talk to neuro about that, i see him on 6/16. then he will read the x-rays for me.

luckily my daughter did'nt have any nausea, nurses kept asking her about that, so she is only on x-strengh tylenol.

took her to eye doctor this morn. they did pressure check on her eyeball and said it is a little soft, have to take her back tomorrow, for another pressure check and they will check again for any leaking. they said if eye is leaking she will need another surgery asap to stop it.

thanks for your concern and take care!
  • I hope your daughter does well after her surgery and pray for her recovery. As for x-rays I had flex/ext. standing up and it was very painful to do an extension I really think they did it wrong. Hope you get some answers from your Neuro. TC Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • thank you and your concerns with my daughter. when doctors tested her this morn. she was able to see only 3 feet in front of her with her hurt eye (right side) so were just praying for her.
    she's been playing soccer for 10 years now so she got some tomboy in her so she is handling the pain pretty good.
    when i was watching doctor pressure test her eye this morn. it was hurting me more then her. guess thats part of being a dad.
    yup will see what my neuro say's 6/16. i think i was in too much pain for being post-op, but i dunno will ask him.
    best wishes and take care

• Hi Shari,
    Just read this post and thought of you at work next week.
    I suggest that before you get down on the floor, you make sure there is a chair close by that you can use to help yourself up.

I was out walking in a park yesterday, and got down on one knee to take a photo with a pretty flower in the foreground. Oooopppps! I forgot I was going to have to get up again! That was hard!

Take care Shari :-) >:D<

• Hope that your daughter's eye is healing well, and that it didn't need another operation.
    How is she feeling now?

Also hope that you are feeling less pain now and that the icing helped to settle your back.

Have you had the results of your x-ray yet? I was wondering if you have started to fuse yet. I haven't!

Take care, and please let us know how your daughter is. :-)
  • thanks for asking, daughter is coming along.
    we also hoping no more surgeries, but time will tell.
    i took her to see doctor a couple more times, cause the pressure inside her eye is too low. they are concerned about that. they checked her eye and said it's not leaking so just hoping a few more days and the pressure builds back up. take her back to doctor on tuesday with our fingers crossed.
    I see my neuro on wednesday 6/16, thats when he will see my x-rays and read them, i cant tell if i'm fusing will have the doctor point it out to me.
    gonna tell him also about the back pain while getting x-rays.
    my x-rays are on a disc, thats what he wanted.
    I was suppose to see him on 6/10, but that was the day of daughter's surgery so i called and made new appt. not worried about work comp saying my doctor will back me up if they say anything.
    take care and have a nice day.

• I'll keep praying for her Blazer :-)
    (and you too)
  • Happy Sunday Jim!! *HUG*

I hope today your daughter is feeling better. Eyes tend to heal pretty fast, so hopefully you (and us) will find that she is on the upswing. Positive thoughts for you and your daughter in these trying times!!

X-rays/Pain. Oh yes, for sure I would tell the doctor about your present painful pain issues! You never know, something you tell him of this new adventure might be a big clue as to what is going on. Please keep us posted, and know I keep you and yours in my thoughts. Supportive *HUGZ* for you and your daughter!!

Brenda
  • BIG HUG TO YOU ALSO and thank you.
    thank you for your prayers jelly, she'a young so she has that going for her, i just hope the surgeons expectations are real.

yup brenda i'm concerned cause all that excruating pain was in my spine just like pre-op, but i trust my doctor (used him for my previous cervical surgeries) so i'll just let him know and see what he say's.
    i'll let ya'll know wednesday afternoon.

take care/best wishes and enjoy your day >:D<
  • Heya Jim! thinking of you and keeping you and your daughter in my thoughts and prayers!

I can relate to the "little bit of tomboyism"! I am the only girl and the youngest, so I can totally relate! :) I have been told many times that I have a high tolerance for pain...many years of being tormented by my brothers, I'm sure!

Maybe you could keep a log of your activities and your pain level, rating your pain on a scale of 1-10. This may help you and your doc to see if there is a trigger for pain...

I do that now, and take it with me to all of my doctor appointments. They never want to see it, but seem to take me more seriously.

I go see the pain management doc tomorrow. I think I am really going to need his help to get back to work! And, I see my surgeon on Tue. Wed, you have your follow up and I have my first day back to work!

I hope everything goes well when you take your daughter back in on Tue. I will keep ya'll in my thoughts and prayers!

Wishing you the best! xxxx Shari
  • Greeting Jim,

You're very welcome for the *HUGZ* :)

I hope your doctor can at least see with an exam that a more detailed look my be on the 'new list' of things to do. Pain is bad enough to deal with, but when they don't do anything (obviously you're not there yet), it makes it seem to hurt more!

When my pain came back similar to pre-surgery, the first thing my NS thought was I 're-herniated.' As there was still swelling from the surgery, the MRI didn't reveal much. He knows there is something, so he put me on Lyrica just to see if "nerve" pain was what was going on verses "muscle spasm" or muscle strain was the cause. The Lyrica kicked 90% of the pain down! So...back to the Neurologist I go for the trouble shooting once again. :)

It sounds like you have a fairly good relationship with your doctors, so hopefully they will figure this out shortly Jim. Please let us know how it goes. Give your daughter a prayer hug from me.!!

Brenda
  • brenda, last time i seen my neuro he gave me neurotin taking 900 mg a day and that took care of the leg pain and numbness, but not the back pain and numbness.
    i'm also taking flexril and i have valium if i need them but i dont like taking the valium, thats kinda scary stuff. so i'll see what doctor has to say.

shari, lol tomboy's gotta love'm, my little baby could talk your ear off about how her big brother picks on her. but when it's over they laugh and hug,they would'nt have it any other way.
    i use to write all that stuff down, but now i just keep notes and bring it with me when i see doctor.
    my doctor has no asst. just his nurse so i always see him, and i like it that way.
    ouch your 1st day back to work, well just taker easy and dont push yourself. you did'nt ask to get hurt and the job is just gonna have to realize that.

thanks brenda and shari and have a nice day ;)
  • Greetings Jim!!

Glad to hear that the Neurotrin is helping. As to the other pain and numbness, I doubt medicine can help with the numb areas, but let your doctor know of the resultant back issues, he might help there, or recommend heat/ice or PT for that part. Just let your Neuro know where you are at now, might help him come to a diagnosis or tests needed to figure it out. I'll keep following your threads. *HUGZ*

Brenda
  • yup, i'll let neuro know about it wednesday.
    in his defense he did tell me i will never be pain-free. he is expecting a 80% success rate with the fusion, so he did warn me, now that i think about it.

take care and best wishes
  • Good to hear! 80% after fusion, I would feel those good results for sure!! I hope you're feeling better this fine day! *hug*

Brenda
advertisement