Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF yesterday

Lela1122LLela1122 Posts: 119
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Thanks for all your support here at spine health! I have obtained a wealth of info from all of you. I awoke from surgery with no arm pain or thumb an index finger pain.(or numbness) Feels like a miracle. Now my body needs to heal, and I get to rest for for the next couple of weeks, catch up on movies I havent seen yet, read some, figure out how to type on my laptop with my aspen collar on! My throat hurts some which is to be expected for some not all and just the surgery pain. I also like some of have said still have the muscle spasms, my neck has been through a lot so I know it is to be expected. I did sleep in bed last night propped up with my collar on. I dont have to wear the collar sleeping but my handsome ns said I could if it made me more comfortable. I am just so glad its all over and wanted to thank all of you for everything!! I will keep you posted. Lela
advertisement

Comments

• Good to hear you are doing well. I hope your recovery remains on a very smooth path....

Best to you,

Marianne

• Great to hear from you Lela. It sounds like you have had a successful surgery and now just need to recovery from that.

Don't push yourself too much and make sure that you get plenty of rest. Isn't the relief you get from the anxiety of surgery great, once you are over on this side?

Keep healing :-)
  • Congratulations and welcome to the other side of surgery. I'll never forget how it felt to wake up after my ACDF with all the arm symptoms gone. What a great feeling and I'm so glad you got to experience that.

Yes, it's time for you to rest now and let your body heal. Try to get up and start walking as soon as you can, baby steps first, of course, then work up to longer distances as you can.

And most important, adhere to those restrictions no matter how tempting it will be some days to do more than you should when you start feeling better.

Again, congratulations and take care of yourself. And yes, please keep us updated on your progress and recovery.
    Cath
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    Lela, I've always felt ACDF surgeries were so successful. Yes,I know we have a number of people that have had problems with it.
    I've had two and each time any problem I had prior to surgery almost immediately stopped after surgery.

You will get stronger and you neck should feel better week by week. That alone will help improve you overall body condition and mental approaches.

Just do not 'settle' back and think because you are feeling ok, that you can do more than you should.
    Probably the number one cause for problems after any spinal surgery is not adhering to what we should be and not doing everything you can to make sure you do not have additional cervical or spinal issues.

I've been there, I've had great success with ACDF surgeries and I've also neglected myself at times.
    With that neglect, I've had to pay the price from time to time.

Build on your positive results and feelings.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• You're back!
    Nice to hear from you again :-)
  • Good to hear your surgery is done and the numbness is gone. I wish you a complete recovery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Congrats Lela!! I am so happy to hear that you are feeling better and things are going well!

Now is the time to pamper yourself, movies, TV, ice cream and just resting! :)

Wishing you the very best and so happy to hear you are doing well! You deserve it!

Take care!
  • Lela,

So glad you are now on 'the other side' and are seeing the positive results instantly - been there, done that, feels great huh? :)

Just follow your doctors instructions, rest heal, and try not to push it now that you're feeling better. Congrats!!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • It does feel great, ice cream that does sound good! I did have to start iceing yesterday from the muscle spasms. That helped a lot. My ns office called and asked how I was doing and I said I felt like someone cut my head off the sewed it back on! She laughed and said most people say they feel like they got hit by a mack truck, I said yea I could say that too! I will take that pain anyday when I know its going away and the nerve pain is gone, gone, gone.... Paparon glad you are back, Lela
  • Lela, congratulations! I'm so glad your surgery went well and gave you such immediate release. Just remember all the warnings about doing too much -- you have to take them seriously, because you'll have days you think you can lift or do anything, and you really can't (not without paying for it, anyway).

It's been 3-1/2 years since my own ACDF, and I remember it well. I didn't really have any pain afterwards -- except the sore throat from being intubated for so long. I got addicted to freezer pops -- my husband even bought them for me for my lumbar surgery LOL.

You take care!
advertisement