Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bill from Indiana

Bill RBBill R Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello, I'm not so new here. I joined a long time ago and usually come here for info rather than talking.
Anyway, my name is Bill, I am 38, I'm from Indiana and I have had severe lower back problems for 12 years now.
Everything went wrong in 1998, I rolled out of bed like any other morning and my back hasn't been
right ever since then. No car wreck, bike wreck etc. I'm not sure, nor do the doctors know what happened.
My first 5 years were a struggle. I kept going to urgent care doctors and apparently they all thought I was
a drug seeker because they wouldn't help me at all. They took one look at me, 5-'10", 165 lbs and said that
I was in great physical condition and since I was in no acciddent. I was faking it. During this time I put my wife
through nursing school and was very familiar with many of the MD's and got me an appt. with a Physical Therapist.
By this point I was in so much pain and so angry because I got no relief whats so ever I demanded an MRI the
next day. The MRI showed that my L5 S1 disc was ruptered and degenerating. 2003 New Doc and he performed
a mircrodisketomy and a Laminectomy, neither helped at all and of course he released me and took all pain meds
away too. 2004, 9 months later, new insurance and new doc. After 5 minutes with him and an X-ray he told me I needed
a spinal cage fusion sugery immediatly. By this point my disc was completley gone. After the surgery the doc came to see my wife to tell her that he had to scape my nerves off my spine and they were so badly damaged that I would recover
some, but not very much and he was right. 2005 New year new doc. Pain Managment. She is wonderful, first time I saw her
I explained that she's my 18th doctor and told my story and started to cry because I just couldn't take it any more. I had been on and off Vicodine and I hated them, yes they helped with the pain but I lost so much weight. I
got down to 130 pounds. She suggested Percocet and I've been on those ever since. Doc has tried (2005)80 injections,
(2005) temp spinal stimulator, 2006 permanent stimulator, 2007 stimulator revision, 2008 another revision, and last year we just removed it becuase it didn't work and I was getting horrible migrains and restless leg syndrom.
At this point I thought I was done with surgeries and was put on Kadian meds which is a slow release pain
med and they worked really well for me. I did a little house work last December and days after that I had a horrible burning sensation in my upper spine and my left torso would go numb in seconds when I would sit down. So I went to the hospital and had an MRI and they found a tumor in my T-10 vertebrae and it was interfearing with my peticle as well. New year, new doctor. I went to my first appoinment and I had a neurosurgeon as well as a team of Oncologist. Their conclusion was that I had bone marrow cancer and I was devistated. I went for several tests and after a week of losing my mind and preparing for death it came back negative, thank you. I went to Inianapolis for embolization, they injected ethanol into my vertebrae to kill the tumor. The doc told my wife that my bone wall was really thin and I should take it easy, of course doc, no parachuting, gotcha. Another surgery right after to grind on my pedicle to relieve the nerve and about 2 months later I went back to work and it's like it never happend. But, about a month ago I had pain between my shoulders and in the base of my neck. Another MRI in May would show 5 more tumors and the orginal one is still alive. The tumors are benign but are extremley agressive and are acting like malignant cancer. Basically the tumors are like cavities in a tooth eating it away. I now have an Oncologist and I am scheduled to have radiation treatment on 06-15-10. I am so terrified it's hard to put into words. I can't sleep other than maybe 3 hours for over a week now. I constatly have nightmares either I am already dead trying to comunicate with my wife or I'm trapped in the radiation machine and it's burning me up and I violently shake and kick myself awake. Other than all this for the most part I am very positive, I always try to smile even when the pain is overwhelming and I just want to cry. I am currently working and always have and I plan to as long as my legs will work. I know my story is way to long (I left lots out too) and hopefully you made it through. If I can help you in any way just ask, I'm about as easy going as you get and we're all in this together.

All I got left to say is, I love my life, I love my wife and children. Life IS what you make it and life is good.

• It's rough you've been through so much with your spine issues. I hope the radiation will help dissolve an obliterate those spine tumors. Hopefully those terrible dreams will end after your first treatment and see you'll be able to tolerate it. The unknown can be more frightening then the actual procedure though this can be scary. Are you on enough pain medication? Can you talk with the Oncologist about your pain and anxiety?

I see you have a sense of humor about no parachuting gotcha. I hope with this positive outlook will help you through this. Prayers you will recover from this and have less pain so you can enjoy your wife and children and the precious time spent with them. Prayers and wishing you the best. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • "All I got left to say is, I love my life, I love my wife and children. Life IS what you make it and life is good."

Bill your last is what will get you through this!! If you are positive, and have support, more likely than not you will persevere. Sorry to hear about the tumors, but glad that they aren't cancer. Like Charry said, hopefully after you start treatment, the nightmares will back off, and sleep will be more restful. Just what you posted that you've been through, that shows you have the inner fortitude! We are here for you to talk, vent too, or just listen.

Please keep us posted on how it goes. I will send lots of positive energy your way! *HUGZ* *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Last night I got about 6 hours of sleep which is more than i've got in over a week and no nightmares. We put the boys to bed at 8:30 and I fell asleep watching Mythbusters on the couch and Brenda (wife) Facebooked all night long. It was a very good night.

Charry: My pain is well under control. The doc has added Duladid on top of my usual meds temporarilly. Honestly I'm on so much pain meds i'm affraid to ask for anything for the anxiety, I fell guilty enough. But Brenda is a Registered Nurse and she watches me closley asking how i'm doing, feeling etc. and she relays everything to the doctors so i'm pretty well covered.

I know I can make it to the appointment on Tuesday fine, it's just, I'm not sure if i can get into that machine knowing what it's doing to me. Maybe they will give me something to relax me. Once I do this a couple times i'm sure i can handle it, it's just getting through the first couple.

Thanks for listening.

• Howdy Bill,

Who knows maybe just getting your concerns off your chest on this site was medicinal! Glad to hear you got some good sleep, and too that you seem much calmer and more at peace. :) I am sure given that your wife (heh, same name) is an RN, she too can reassure you for your upcoming treatment. May the good sleeps continue!! Support *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • hi bill
    You sure have been thru alot and still going thru..
    i wish you the best and i pray that the treatments get rid of those nasty tumors..
    I hope you will keep posting I find your way of handling all the crap life has delt you inspiring..
    and i'm so happy you have great wife to support and understand what your going thru...

I will keep you in my prayers
    hey we neighbors i'm in chicago
    take care and i dont sleep much either so stop in chat sometime a few of us in there ...niteowls
    but we here for ya
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.