Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why?!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:44 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
So i am 19 with DDD in my first 3 cervical disks with my C3 disk bulging. I have horrific burning nerve pain down my arm an shoulder but if course my nerve root is not obstructed by the disk. The disk isnt pushing on my spinal cord but just sorta hanging out in the spinal canal. But this doesnt explain anything to do with the nerve pain down to my hands? and of course i am young and no body wants to put me on a pain medicine regimen. so i also ask you guys how can i ask for painkillers without seeming like a junkie? helpppppp... is it too early for pain management? i was diagnosed yesterday with ddd and a bulge so idk. thank you all tho
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    While it may be true that doctors look at some younger people as just wanting to get some pain killers for recreation.

But any doctor worth they weight can evaluate the pain that you are in given you situation. Granted they may not be able to say you are at pain level 3 or pain level 8, but hiding pain is something almost impossible to do.

I have to assume by your post that you have had diagnostic tests (ie MRI) to identify the disc problem.
    That alone should warrant some type of conservative treatment. Some doctors might want to start you out with physical therapy,Over the Counter medications to start with to see how that works.

If that manages you pain, both you and the doctor are fine, if it does not manage your pain, you need to work more with your doctor.

If you are 16 or 61... When you are in pain, you need help. Most trained professionals know when that is needed
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Sorry SCsoccer that you are having to go through this. I was 17 when my first disc blew. Being that age it really was hard to get doctors to help me the way I needed to be helped. Trying different treatment like PT and OTC meds like Advil, Aleve etc is a good place to begin but if you are still in a lot of pain your doctor should help you. Just be upfront with your doctor on what you've tried and how it helped or didn't help. People young and old shouldn't have to suffer. I personally try to be cautious because I am worried about getting into a med abuse situation. I hope you can get some stuff figured out...

What is your next step?
  • Just another viewpoint... I have had severe stenosis, blown discs, you name it, from cervical to lumbar. I had a 3-level ACDF with hemicorpectomies (removal of a portion of the vertebrae) in late 2006. I've always had some residual deficit, but that was to be expected given the amount of cord compression and for how long I endured this.

Flash forward to June of 2008 -- flashing pain down both shoulders/arms, return of hand weakness. Was something else wrong with my neck. I had an MRI, it showed the usual not so beautiful picture of my rebuilt neck. But my ortho had a thought -- given the location of my pain, he ordered MRIs of both shoulders, with and without contrast.

Sure enough, I had a complete tear on one side, and a partial tear on the other. Both have been rebuilt over the past year and a half. Sure, some would have just lumped it under the cervical stuff we already knew about...

But I'd suggest you also check out your shoulders, since you specifically point to shoulder and arm pain,

Hope it works out for you!
  • thanks all lol it seems my problem is minuscule to all of you guys. I think i want to jump straight into pain management because i feel my nerve pain weather or not is caused by a disk the discomfort i have i need to be dealt with. i did conservative care for my low back for a year (L5 S1) and that was too long. I feel if i jump into pain mangement now i have a diagnosis and start with epidural injectons or injections for my ddd or medication regimen it will subside quicker? thoughts?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    We all have to learn to deal what has been dealt to us.
    Doesn't matter if its super major or an irritant. Anything that upsets your daily routine of life is a problem.

Let your doctors tell you if Epidural injections is the way to go. I went for years and years of physical therapy, medications and other treatments before ESI's were even introduced.

I believe that each doctor has their own levels of defense to fight off patient problems. Some may jump to ESI's sooner, some may still with Physical Therapy.
    I dont there is a wrong or right, so much depends on the patient and what they are suffering from and what they can respond do
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement