Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Circle of life

WramblerWWrambler Posts: 1,588
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Matters of the Heart
Here we go again, a little joy and a lot of work.
My 17 year old son talked puppies until he got my wife into it.

Last Saturday we went and got this. :)

His name is Shadow.

He is 15 weeks old and a Labradoodle.
We had to drive almost 3 hours just to look at him. It was just he and one brother left and this he stuck to us like glue for over an hour while we talked to the gentleman running the kennel. He originated in Virginia and his first owner could not sell the 4 he had and he was leaving on vacation. So the guy we got Shadow from took all 4 as a package "deal". So, yes we have broken every rule in the "get a pet" book, twice now. The kennel owner has Shadows sister whom he wanted to breed. Shadows other sister was sold and his brother was sold later Saturday evening as he had told people they had to wait until we chose before they could have the remaining male.

Long story, just kind of wanted to let it out...I was not quite ready for this to begin again, but Shadow makes it an easier process. He wants to be with people 100% of the time. He looks up as everyone leaves a room and when that last person leaves he is right on their heels. Usually under foot too!

My wife and I talked about it for several days before going up on Saturday. We had tried the pounds and shelters and could not find a single larger breed dog...strange. Anyway, we talked and decided that Chewy would without a doubt rather have us be happy than sad. Our kitty Silver on the other hand, well, she is NOT impressed! Shadow chases her, but not hard. He is more curious than anything. Poor Kitty. She will get over it in time.

• Shadow is so cute! Of course Chewy would be wanting you to be happy. What a handsome picture of your son and puppy. May you have many years of happiness with your new pup. Hopefully kitty will tame and keep puppy in line. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    I know the pain your family went through when Chewy passed away. It is very difficult to let such a close family member slip away from you.

Nothing, no dog can replace Chewy. That is a time in your lives to remember for always.

Shadow comes along now just to give you some joy and happiness.

This may sound really strange, but life does work in many different ways. Just finding Shadow, sort of makes me think that Chewy had something to do with all of this.

Take care and I hope your family enjoys Shadow for so many years.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Wonderful photos...looks like your son is attached! Dogs are the best...even with all the work! I'm sure I would have stayed in bed MANY days after my fusion if it was not for having my dogs that needed me. And those days when I did not want to walk...well, my dogs love their walk, and I did not want to let them down!

Shadow is beautiful, and hope he will fill that void after losing Chewy!

Take care,

• Oh Shadow is so cute! My brother, that just lost his son, recently got a Labradoddle too!

She was flown from Minn. all the way down here!

She is so soft and fluffy with gigantic paws and her name is Sholtzy!

I know that Shadow will give you lots of joy in the days and years to come!

I think that Sholtzy and Shadow are angles to watch and protect! :)

Great picture of your son and new pup!

Thank you for taking the time to post a picture!
  • I didn't post about Chewy, mostly because I could not offer any comfort. We had a breeding pair or dogs, but we lost our male, Grady, two days before Christmas. So I know how you felt as I have had many dogs, but Gray was very special to me. My son is 6 years old and he also had a special relationship with Grady. He still talks about how much he misses Grady. Unfortunately our female, Cindy Loo, is not as active as Grady was and has hip problems.

It was painful to read about Chewy because I know how that feels and dread going through that again with Cindy. My wife wants to get the boy a new dog because of how much he and Grady enjoyed each other. I keep telling her I can't handle it yet, but I know how my son is missing having a dog. He tries to play with Cindy, but she just can't keep up anymore. I miss Grady and to listen to my son talk about him almost brings me to tears.

I want to thank you for sharing the good news. I have been following your story. I find it interesting that I have found a new way that SH has helped me, and it has nothing to do with the spine! I hope you and your family enjoy Shadow, and I hope he helps you fill some of the space in your heart left from the loss of your special friend.

• Many thanks for sharing.
    Great pictures.
    He is beautiful.

I guess there really is no such thing as a replacement but it appears a wonderful addition has magically found it's way into your family's heart.

Congrats on the new addition!

• Wrambler,

Congrats on the new family member! I can see from what you wrote, and the picture with your son...those two will bond tightly! Oh, and he's cute too!! Thanks for sharing such good news!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Many of us have suffered recent loses and its so nice to see a new addition to your family.

He is soooo cute, adoreable! My friend has a labradoodle and they are great pets. Your son is cute too!

Beautiful family, I wish you lots of happiness in the years to come with Shadow, my dog Sassy is all snuggled up beside me right now and I just love her to bits, great companionship.

I am so happy for you, thanks for sharing,
    Sandra x
  • congrats on getting the new dog! I hope there are many wonderful years for you guys!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• I get too attached to my pets too and I hope time heals the gap left by Grey for ya
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• :D :D :D :D

So happy for you Wrambler! Does this dog know how lucky he is to have found your home?

• I just recently adopted my second foster dog, just couldn't let him go, we had such a connection. Everytime I thought of surrendering him to a new forever home I cried my eyes out. And I thought of you missing your Chewy. I can't imagine not having my Shy (redtick coonhound) and my Cooper (tan and white beagle).

Best wishes for a long and happy life together. Thanks for the post, it was a good way to start this cloudy, wet day!
  • Yeah, they are both cute in their different ways :)
    Luke and Shadow!

Shadow is pressing my off button, you know, the one that turns off your sanity... He's great, but not quite crate trained, nor house trained. When Luke sleeps out in the room besides the crate all goes pretty well. When my wife does it, she does not get up and help with Shadow at all. I ended up taking Shadow out twice, trying to eat breakfast and leave all at the same time. I was half hour late to work, thankfully no one here noticed much.

Shadow is a big clumsy clown. He sleeps on his back, falls off the couch at times, or your lap, depends on where he is, just a wiggle or two and thump on the floor he goes. It does not bother him at all. He just finds a new spot and starts all over again!

I've been so looking forward to my comp time off. I'd got a 4 year backlog of projects and 2 weeks to work on some of them. Followed by what we hope will be a trip to the beach! I have 3 weeks off in row! and I'm not recoverying from some surgery or another! Truly unusual!

NORM! The puppy may feel wrong to your loss of Grady and you may not feel ready, but being dog people, we adapt quickly to the change. We don't need to forgot those waiting for us on the Rainbow bridge. The best thing for us at times is to find a new friend, knowing that for everyone we take in here there is one less lonely puppy in the world!

Shadow may be a bought and paid for "designer puppy", but he was in kennels all of his first 15 weeks, so even though we paid for him, cheap by Labradoodle standards. Even though we paid for him you can see the gratefulness in his eyes, though I suspect he would have eventually found a home.

EDIT: The guy in the office beside mine brought in his dog yesterday, my first day back after a nice 4 day weekend. Guess what kind of dog he has? Well, not a Labradoodle, but a Goldendoodle!
    Every place I turn someone has one or knows someone who does. (I had no idea they were so popular)I also had no real idea as to how expensive they normally are! We basically got Shadow for half price due to his age. Everyone goes for the cute little puppies. Which the guy had 12 off, 10 of which were sold! All while poor Shadow was growing up in a kennel run...
  • I have Puggles............pug and beagle and they are the best!!! I have 2 of them, Sassy and Brandy. I would be lost without them. I also have 3 cats, 3 kids and 1 husband!!! LOL

My daughter is in the veterinary Academy in high school, we are big animal lovers in this house.

Enjoy every minute of your beautiful Shawdow. My friend who has the labradoodle says the same thing, very clumsy, big feet that she still has to grow into!!! LOL

• Shadow is pretty adorable!! I have a Maltipoo named Gus Gus. I love having a dog around he seems to know when I need love. He often hangs out with me when I need a good cry. Thanks for sharing your pics it's nice to see something that makes me smile.