Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

If anyone has relentless muscle spasms in their middle back...

Paul D. DodsonPPaul D. Dodson Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Chronic Pain
Dear Everyone,
I have had muscle spasms in my mid-back and been through every kind of treatment known to doctors. Those include 1) PT 2) muscle relaxers 3) Facet injections 4) Nerve Blocks 5) 3 different epidurals 6) Botox injections into the back muscles 7) 2 discograms and 8) finally, 2 different spinal column stimulators.
None of these have done a damned thing. I was wondering if anyone out there has had a similar condition In any way remotely. If you have could you share facts with me about possible fixes-or for that matter what doesn't work. I am supposed to be getting a disc fusion soon, but am reluctant because nothing else has worked. Thank you.-Paul

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

I assume you've had an MRI and that your problems are in your lumbar spine? What level(s) are the problem? What are your symptoms, other than muscle spasms? What does your doc say is the spine issue? And lastly, what kind of surgeon are you seeing?

You say that you're scheduled to get a disc fusion soon but are hesitant because nothing else has worked - that seems backwards to me. Many of us are ready for fusion (or whatever surgery is needed) by the time all conservative treatments are exhausted because we're still in severe pain.

Sorry for all the questions, but the more we know the more we may be able to help and support you and the more we can share personal experiences with regards to treatment and our particular solutions.

Again, welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of great information on this site, and the members of the forum are friendly, knowledgeable and supportive.

• Yes, I have. I never understood them until I read the article here, that explained that the muscle spasms are the body's attempt to stabilize the spine. That the body knows that there is something wrong, and that they're sort of a dysfunctional attempt to do something about it.

And once I asked about it, my PM/physiatrist backed up that account.

He said that he could do trigger point injections, which are anesthetic/steroid injections into the muscle itself. Except I used up my steroid allotment in ESIs that didn't help much ;)

Physical therapists also have several modalities aimed at releasing muscle spasms.

Good luck!
  • I'm sorry that you are in such pain. Spasms are horrible, i too have spasms/pain in my thoracic spine. I am assuming you have had an mri?? What did it say? Have you had a CT scan and bone scan?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,818
    The member started another post with the same information. To make sure information posted is in one spot, please post in:

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
This discussion has been closed.