Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Long nights

steve withrowssteve withrow Posts: 70
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It will a month on friday since have taken any pain meds , since then , my whole sleeping pattern has flipped flopped...I used to go to bed at 9 pm....now that I am off the pain meds , its 4 am or so ...I sleep 6 hours....but I find it weird...I take 30mg of tamazapam every night at 10 pm...They dont seam to work....any one go through this when stopping pain meds....????

• The same happened to me - Tamazapam made me feel 'jittery' and not relaxed enough to sleep at all. After years of trying numerous different medications at different strengths, I am left with morphine patch (that I change once a week), morphine liquid as/when I need extra, 2 Amitriptyline at 9pm and about an hour later, 2 ibuprofen. It doesn't always work, of course, but if I get a straight 5 hours or more, then I call that a blimming good night!

Trouble is, when my doses were higher (and far more successful sleep-wise), I couldn't function at work properly because [as my daughter said] I was 'off my face'. Ha!

My lower back pain tends to get worse as the day progresses, which is why I end up on the floor every evening - but it's that or not being able to work at all.

Have you just started taking Tamazepam? Maybe you need a while for it to get into your system. If not, perhaps you should consult your doctor again. Maybe you have a nap in the afternoon, which may explain the six hours you eventually sleep - though I personally think that's pretty good, but that's just my opinion. I know everyone's not the same and we all need varying amounts of sleep, so I hope you can get this sorted out soon.

I presume that you have stopped your medication for the last month because of some procedure(?), so that tells me that hopefully it must have been successful, which is brilliant.

Anyway, I'm off to bed now - it's 20 to 12 and I've got work in the morning, so goodnight zzzzzzz!!!!

2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Thank you Sue....I have been on Tamazapam for over a year , it has always worked....I was thinking because of being on norcotics for along time and just stopping might be why my internal clocked switched up 6 hours....I find it all new and strange to me....
  • Hey Steve,

Sounds like this may be common because I have the same problem. I had a 360 fusion at L5-S1 eight weeks ago today. I stopped taking pain medication 2 weeks ago and now cannot get to sleep. I used to be asleep by 10:00 pm and now it is usually between 4 and 6 am. I then sleep for 4 or 5 hours. This was not so bad until I went back to work part time this week. Next week I am going to work in the afternoon so that will help. I go back full time on June 21st and don't know what I will do then.

Hang in there hopefully it will get better for you soon!

Take care,
  • Thanks Lynn....My operation was a TLIF L5/S1 with cage and disk replacement with fusion....It will be 3 months on the 16th of June ( pain free )....What you just described is exactly what I am going through , I got hurt at work , and I am a commercial electrician....I have 36 PT appointment's they told me...But the sleep thing...UHG...I want to take a nap , but I know better..Just hope it passes soon..
  • It is very common for a person to experience modified sleep patterns after stopping the use of pain medications. Many of the detox programs use different strategies for helping individuals to regain normal sleeping patterns. I found that 4 things were essential for me in restoring my sleep patterns. Proper diet, moderate exercise, acupuncture and Benadryl. It took about a month before I was back into a fairly decent pattern for sleep after stopping narcotic pain meds.