Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

anaesthetic remaining after surgery??

MeeshaMMeesha Posts: 55
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I've read several times on here, that pain 2 weeks after a discotomy is because anaesthetic was put there that was meant to last 2 weeks. However, I find that really hard to believe - that would have to be some strong drug put in you to last that long!

I was freaking out that it would be the same for me, but when I went for surg, they said it would only last 8-10 hours, and then I'd need painkillers. Well, it's been 1 week, and I hardly took any painkillers. I really hope I don't have some kind of residual pain starting in the next few weeks. Especially since I seem to have misplaced my Percocets! I'd like to hope that I just keep getting better. I see my dr next week, so I'll ask him about that. We'll see how things go.
discectomy in June 2010 - success! No sciatic pain, just some remaining numbness in foot. And I get charlie horses a lot.

• I'm not sure if it is the meds or that we tend to get more active but there will come a day around 2-3 weeks when you will say CRAP what happened. It goes away quickly often with just some OTC meds and rest. Maybe a heating pad for a day.

• Not sure about your question. I guess I've heard people say that but not sure.

From my experience (I had a microdiscectomy on L5-S1 and then a revision Microdiscectomy through same scar)

First surgery...I would say I took pain killers and muscle relaxers in limited doses. I will tell you that I felt like someone hit me across the lower back with a 2X4 (or even bigger). Even my husband told me my back looked quite swollen. Oddly at 2 weeks I didn't need the meds anymore. I also increased my activity too much and wasn't careful enough about the no bending or twisting thing.

Second surgery...I would have thought would hurt just as much if not more b/c they were re-opening an incision. They did do special nerve monitoring on me which I am told helps with recovery. I really didn't take any meds after the surgery (I was puking and just didn't want to). I think they gave me one dose of something through the IV and that was it. I didn't take anything and really didn't hurt. I took a percoset for the ride home but aside from that I might have taken one pill a day tops just to be safe at bed time.

So....I wouldn't worry that you'll get pain. Neither of my experiences would support the theory you are thinking might happen.

I would be cautious on the restrictions you've been given. Even if you feel good, follow doctor's orders.
  • I don't no if i just over did it or what. got up in the morning and felt like i had been hit by a truck . i had been off all meds from 2 days after and walking 2 miles a day (not all at once)
    just take it slow do what your doc say and no mater what any one say when they cut into you 3 or 4" deep its a big deal to your body .
    some times they flood the area with steroids or something like that before closing up the hole my surg told me it would wear off in a week or two .
    after taking meds for 2 or 3 days i was back walking and doing my after spiney routine for the next couple months.
  • very little pain after my micro-d, but unfortunately, that procedure didn't last that long. I was fine for about 6 months, then the pain came back and my right leg began to buckle when I was walking. I hope you have lasting pain relief.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Depends on what they gave you. Drugs that are used like in ESI shots. Kenalog for example. The ESI uses a "depot drug". They are extremely slow release and last a long time.

After a micro-D I slowly felt better over a 2 week period. Then also had a dip in the recovery. Then a week later started to get better. My surgeon told me that was typical. Never mentioned meds from surgery as the reason.
  • Thanks for your comments. Isteller did you reherniate - is that why your leg pain returned?
    discectomy in June 2010 - success! No sciatic pain, just some remaining numbness in foot. And I get charlie horses a lot.