Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 lvl Laminectomy Post Op

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had a 5 lvl Lumbar Laminectomy May 17th. Today is June 11th. I saw my surgeon about 2 weeks ago. He told me it will take about 3 months to see if the surgery will take away my leg pain. Maybe it won't. What it did do is prevent further damage by taking pressure of the nerve roots.

I was in the hospital 2 1/2 days. The pain in my lower back is actually worse now than before surgery or immediately after surgery. I did have a pain pump where I could inject pain meds thru an IV while in hospital. I'm on morphine and oxycodone currently to control pain. I was on these before as well due to Fibromyalgia and continuing nerve pain in my arms.

I had a 2 lvl cervical laminectomy 1 and a half yrs ago. That did not take away my arm pain. I am on gabapentin 300 mgs 3x a day, oxycodone 7 1/2 mgs 3 times a day, and 15 mg morphine every 8 hours.

I am to have a 2 lvl discectomy fusion in my neck next. I am planning this for after my medicare kicks in in November. I am on Social Security Disability.

• Hello :) What is the difference between the discectomy and the laminectomy? I should look it up, I know! My back pain also feels worse than it did before, and sitting is horrible if it is for too long. I hope that you are feeling some relief today.
  • HeidiLynnM said:
    Hello :) What is the difference between the discectomy and the laminectomy?
    I hope that you are feeling some relief today.

Thanks, Heidi:

With a laminectomy the surgeon removes the lamina (or portion of it I think), its a bone that sticks out in your back. Somehow it ends up putting pressure on your nerve roots, which in turn causes your pain in your arms or legs(depending on if its yoru neck or lower back being involved.

A discectomy is just where the surgeon removes the disc between your vertebrae and replaces it with bone (either from your hip or a bone bank). In my case he is going to put in titanium plate and screws and remove two discs in my neck next time around.

I hope this helps. There are good articles by doctors and videos on this web site covering all of this as well.