Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

thoracic discetomy surg sched 7/7/10 from the back not chest!

kaydkkayd Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am sched to have thoracic discetomy at Penn hospital in Philadelphia on 7/7/10.I have 3 hern disc t4-5 t6-7 t7-8.Neurosurgeon I seen said he will go from back at an angle to get to disc.Years ago they did this from the front through chest with lung collapse & all that they no longer do t spine surg that way.
I have been suffering with this for 3 years since auto accident.I have been told everything from this should not be causing my pain-no surg until I cant walk or loose control of bowels to surg to risky do not let them do it.Finally neurosurgeon in Quakerton referred me to Philly.
Penn Hospitol in Philly neursurgeon feels he can help me with some of this pain.
I am sched for pre-op on Monday 6/14.I hope to get alot more answers then on surg & what to expect.
After 3 years of feeling like its all in my head..like I should not be in this much pain..I am really looking forward to some relief.
Pain management dr warned me its not going to be easy but if it could lessen some of the pain I am willing to take chance &go thru surg.
If anyone else had thoracic surg where they did from back...let me know how it went.

• had thoracic fusion (bigger surgery than a discetomy) but from the back. Look under the Upper back pain thoracic section.

I wish you well Kayd and will follow your story to see how you get on.
    I hope that this will provide the solution that you need :-)
  • Kayd that's wonderful. I had a microd, laminectomy and forenotomy on T1/2 from the back in January. Now I have more issues in that area but the doctors are giving me the run around. I firmly believe that many don't want to do this area but won't say that. Instead they say there is nothing they can see.

I can't wait to hear more.
  • Do not give up...I was ready to just accept that this is the pain I am going to have to live with.The neurosurgeon that referred me to Philly said he did not feel my pain was coming from the disc.He was suggesting it was fibro,stomache related and other things but probably not from the disc.I was really starting to wonder myself...but anyway he said I should go to Philly because they would deal with thoracic issues alot more often then he did.Which I found most drs all deal with lumbar but not thorasic.But it seems like instead of admitting they arent sure they make you feel like there is no problem.Well I could go on & on about that but I am so grateful he told me to go to Philly...the neurosurgeon I seen there reassured me the problems I am having are def. from the tspine and that he can remove the hern disc & hopefully I should get releif.Also he said they can do my surg from the back not thru chest..which will not be near as major as other drs have told me it would be.
    the Dr name is Dr EDITED Neurosurgery Dept. with EDITED in Philly..itis about 1 1/2 hour from me but I would be willing to go farther!
    Keep going esp since u already no u have issues in that area!

Standards agreement and posting rules.
    Naming specific institution or doctor names is not permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.
    Edited by Authority Member Cath111.

Please PM this member is you would like the specific information that has been edited. Thank you.
  • Thanks kayd. I will keep that name. I am up near NYC so that would be a trip but if there are no other options its worth it. I am calling my PM doc on monday to find out where to go next. I really feel this last surgeon doesnt want to operate in this area so he is brushing it off. The problems are there in the CT.

I'm going to try to go out on disability until I get this straightened out. I feel like a zoombie and the pain is still there. And I have so many doctors to see and tests to repeat. Pretty soon you will be able to recognize me as the one who is glowing from the radiation.
  • thanks for your well wishes!!I have my next app monday for pre op. I am nervous but also so excited & finally have hope for some relief.
  • Thanks much for your post. I have issues at the T8/9/10..but it will be a while (hopefully a loooong while) before they have/will have to do anything. I thank you since what you're describing, maybe there are some advances in the thoracic side of the house on surgery. Gives a bit of future hope should I walk in those shoes. *HUG* I am hoping I keep where I am of course, but always looking for changes with new medical knowledge. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I'll be watching your posts as well. I am scheduled for lumbar fusion on the 29th of this month. Then he may have to do surgery on the disc at the T12 vertebra at another time. I fractured the vertebra in November, and had Kyphoplasty, but latest disco-gram shows problems still at T12. Allot of things involved, depend on my lower back fusion. Hope all goes well with yours. I've gone to the upper back area of this message board and received lots of good advice at times.

• This raises the question of how much radiation/x-ray is too much?

I have had a lot of x-rays of the lumbar spine and a Head CT scan over the last 18 months.

When does it become a worry about radiation levels?