Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar Spinal Fusion Recovery Questions 1month out

meme1166mmeme1166 Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had lumbar spinal fusion on May 10th. Don't go back to dr until end of June. Not sure exactly what I can and can't do. He just said increase activities at a time. I started back to work 2 wks ago and only working half days. I am an office manager and I work at a desk. This week has been rough. Having more pains in lower back like first week after surgery. Not sure if I should notify dr or just bear it until I go back. I feel like I need to go back to work full time 9+ hrs a day. Anybody got any suggestions?

• Walk and then sit, and then walk.

The bad thing about this, is that you need to lay down for 10 minutes at least a day as well.
    I think your pushing yourself, but hey I understand the need to work.

I am not a doctor, just a person who is going through the same pain as you.

• Thanks, I was wondering if I was overdoing it.
  • I talked to my drs pa today and said best for me to stick to half days until they get my xrays to see if the fusion is taking. Then we will talk about increasing.
  • Sitting is very hard on the spine especially when it's healing from fusion. I had problems with sitting up until 6-7 months out.

I think you were very brave going back to work only two weeks out. Are you able to take more time off so that your spine can heal and fuse? Walking and resting in bed are what's normally recommended for early stages in recovery.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I am amazed that you are already back to work. What lumbar level did they fuse? I think you should definitely do part time for as long as you can. You certainly don't want to overdo things. Have you done any physical therapy with a home exercise program?

Best wishes to you,

• Hi Meme,

I am also amazed that you went back to work so quickly.

Lumbar fusion surgery is known to have a particularly long recovery. Do take care that you don't set yourself back in your recovery. Are you able to get up and take short walks during the day?

I am 12 weeks post PLIF surgery and not back at work yet. I feel very lucky that I am not in a situation where I have had to rush back before I am ready.

Wishing you well, and hope that your recovery continues well :-)

PS I agree, God is in control!
  • My surgery was May 10th. The past week and half have been a little more painful. I don't know if it is because I am doing more or not. I have been lying down more instead of reclining all the way back in recliner. I do need to walk more, just so dog gone hot here. I am an office manager and it is very hard to be out because it is getting to end of our fiscal year, but I will just have to do the best I can. My boss understands, been with him over 17 years.