Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need advice

kdaviskkdavis Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Lower Back Pain
Need some advice….I have been suffering from lower back pain for over 3 yrs. I have DDD L3- L5 and moderate bulging and a slight tear in L4-L5 disc.

Like most of you guys, I have tried everything other that surgery to help this problem, so I will not even get into this…

I have a dilemma. I work as an electronic technician; I have survived my job the last few yrs. with my buddies, I work with ,helping me do any lifting and they would help out the nights when I had bad flare-ups.

Well I recently lost my job due to an accident…..I knew I would have a hard time working so I went ahead and applied for disability. I can not work a sit down job due to the fact that sitting causes my pain to escalate. Most people can’t understand that, but I know some of you guys do.

Since I have not been working my back feels better at times, because I can avoid the things that aggravates it, but my depression has gotten worse. So recently a recruiter called me about a great job here in town…..so I went and tested for it. Now I have an offer for a great job, but don’t feel I can hold up. I also think it will be difficult for me to get my disability because my MRI’s don’t look that bad. It has been about 4 months since I have applied for my disability and fear if I try to work and I can not I will have to start the process all over again.

I am only 45 yrs. old and I have a daughter to rise….I have to make a decision this week, and I try not to talk to my friends and family much about my back, because unless you had to deal with this issue,it is really hard to understand.

• I am not in your situation but over the last 2 years since I had my initial trauma I have not seen any substantial improvement to report. But I like you have a family and I own the company I work at so many people are depending on me everyday to pull my weight.

I believe in your case, you know that you should take the job as people are depending on you. I believe while it will be a daily struggle of "counting how many spoons" you have when you wake up in the morning I feel it will give you a sense of purpose and hopefully self confidence.

We all fight the beast daily but we must try our best not to let the beast control our lives but we control the beast. We may not beat it but we should try our best not to let it beat us. When you wake up every morning just remember you are not doing this just for yourself. It helps me often.

On a side note you do have the option to tell the employer your situation but I will be 100% honest here as an employer myself. No need to mention the issue. While some employers can empathize, in this economy it is so easy to pass over someone like yourself or myself.
  • I agree that you should talk to the employer. Explain your situation. See if they are willing to work with you. If they will then a great job is better than disability for lots of reasons. Face the reality that you need a partner to be able to work and a great employer will be that partner. We have so much to offer and are willing to do so much more for those who treat us right.

From what i understand if you take a job then disability would start all over if you claim again. But only disability or a lawyer could tell you for certain.
This discussion has been closed.