Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Humidity and rain

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Chronic Pain
I know this has been talked about before, but I haven't seen anything on it since my TLIF with hardware.

It's been raining with very high humidity here where I live and the temps are in the 60s. Does this mess with anybody's hardware/back? I've been having so much pain in my lower back since this started that I'm wondering if this could be the cause? (I personally tend to believe it is, but would like some confirmation from others that experience it.)

Is it the barometric pressure? The rain? The humidity? Does weather have that large of an effect on our backs after surgery with hardware? And does this still happen after full recovery?

I don't feel it so much in my cervical area, mostly lumbar.

Do you guys have this issue too?

Thanks for your comments.

• hiya cathy
    wow the weather makes huge diff for me..
    i do recall when i had my hardware in..and if it was damp out ...hurt big time.
    ....but now i woke today damp n cool here in chicago and i feel my whole body hurts....but this is due to my fibro..
    I so wish my family would agree and move to warmer weather for me ....I can no longer enjoy the change of seasons here in chicago..
    I hope you get some relief soon..that weather is hell on our bodies for sure...
    take care
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Hi Cath,

I hear you! I so hear you! My pain levels escalate in direct relation to the humidtiy and rain. Unfortunately I am sorry to report to you I am over 2 years out from my TLIF. I swear it's the hardware.

I just had a conversation with my PM doctor about it this week. We discussed my need for so many more break through meds when the humidity and rain moves in. He recommended I try 3 Alieve when it first starts up as obviously it's some kind of inflammation moving in each time the weather moves in. My problem with that is it really does a number on my stomach. Ice certainly gives some short term relief.

I have an appointment with a surgeon next week. Trust me I'll be bringing it up.I would love to hear from people who have had this problem and had their hardware removed. Did it relieve some of the symptoms when they had hardware removed. Maybe it is not so.

Honestly, everyone jokes where else can you get a job like the weatherman where you can make so much money and be wrong so much of the time? I have no need for the weatherman AT ALL but I could possibly consider a new career there.

My family doesn't even bother looking at the weather to find out if they can plan an outdoor activity. They just check with me.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,368
    Yes ... Indeed the weather effects me and my physycial (and mental condition) greatly. I do know when a front is comming through ... I can predict the weather better than many TV weather persons.

Mary ... I am a Chicagoland guy also. Nice to know that there is a growing cluister of us ... Alexhurting is somewhere in the south burbs I believe. I am dreading another Chicago winter ... this last one almost did me in.

Hoping for a reduced pain day for all!,

Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)

• Howdy Cath!!

Cervical surgery yes, lumbar, not yet. 3 days last week I HURT, and had headaches...the same 3 days that we had severe thunderstorms. I believe the pressure change is a big part of what makes us hurt. Pressure affects our whole bodies, and I am sure the humidity can too...but for me, I stayed in and still hurt. The humidity did not increase in my house, so I place it again on pressure changes. I've noticed these "weather/bad days" more since my back started going south than just my neck. I am fearing hurricane season now for a new reason! *hug*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • My father did his PhD study on barametric pressure and test preformance. It was amazing. It clearly showed that pressure affects our mental performance.

I find that my bones with issues can predict a storm. Anything that has been operated on or should be. lol Probably predict weather better than the weatherman.
  • Kris,

Well maybe my *guess* at why I think weather affects us isn't far off! If you think about it, if we are down our pain is realized to be higher. Mental performance could involve happy/sad? What did your dads study say about moods and affects from the weather? I know for me I love thunderstorms (to watch em), and their bursts of rain don't bother me, but give me 3 days or more of drizzly, wet weather, blah!!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    but cold, rain, sleet, hail, humidity, any type of weather has never made me feel worse or even feel slightly not up to par.

Guess I have to consider my self very lucky that the weather to this date has never effected me.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • The study didn't get into moods. His PhD was in Educational tests and measures so he was looking at the test performance side.

My personal thought and experience is that it is related to sinus pressure. I get horrible headaches when the pressure changes. My deviated septum causes this.

I think the bone ache is more moisture related. My guess is that relative humidity is the key. Which is really why old people go to dry climates.
  • if hummidity is a factor than I am in big trouble all the way down here in Houston! :(

I definately feel the weather changes, especially bones that have been broken, so I wonder how the hip where the bone was taken from will be.....guess time will tell!
  • Kris,

We have to stop this now! Hehehe... Deviated septum! Argh, mine towards the left - and finally going to get it fixed! lol!!

I do agree that humidity has a play. Probably because our bodies can retain more water than in dry climes. I think for me it is more pressure changes, now of course Kris/Cath, once a hurricane starts heading this way, I will know for sure and let you all know! Could be an interesting experiment indeed!!

• Optimist, you've made a good point. I know that for me, at least, I've got arthritis throughout my spine so maybe that's the deal. I guess this whole DDD, arthritis, post-surgery and hardware spiney stuff is a guessing game as to when and why it hurts more some days than others.

Of course, sometimes we know it will come. Like today, I carried laundry (a load of jeans, ack), did some folding, carried in grocery bags, and cleaned the kitchen. I'm in my recliner now with some pain, but I'm pretty sure I'll wake up a bit hunched over. This one I can predict.
  • Saw a surgeon today. At the end of the appointment he said, "Any more questions for me?"
    I said, "Oh yeah, one more. Why does weather effect pain levels so much?"
    He shook his head, smiled and said, "Who knows, and if anybody trys to tell you differently they're lieing. Nobody knows for sure why, it just does. It's one of those mysteries. Why, what's the weather gonna be like tomorrow?"

I just laughed and wished him a sunny day.
  • when i first "caught, inhaled, snorted" Fibromyalgia.. i couldn't bear any temp below 60 degrees. five years later, i found i could handle being out of bed during 50 degrees. woot! yet also experienced the extreme side of severe when it was below 50. life...it giveth and taketh away.

thanks for the posts, guys. the wheels of my insight are spinning and growing faster & faster.

• I've discovered that I have left over nerve problems in my arms since my cervical surgery. My arms get chilled very, very easily and I often wear long sleeves while others are wearing tank tops and shorts.

Jasro, I'm sure that it's much more difficult with the fibro. I know that people with fibro have a much more difficult time with extreme temps. I'm sorry you're dealing with that along with everything else.

• Thanks for taking the time to say that, Cath.

I wear long sleeves too but attributed it to my age.

• I know everytime the weather is going to change, no doubt - you aren't crazy!
    My husband thinks I am, he doesn't buy it, but I know better.. Weather makes a big difference!
  • I personally thinks its barometric pressure. I hurt so much worse with tornado watches, thunderstorms, the "severe weather" I am literally bedridden; regular light raindrops don't do it. I've asked my PM many times and he says its arthritis changes and maybe my hardware has caused arthritis...but no one knows for sure.
  • Talked to my physiatrist yesterday during my visit. He quoted some study he did during his residency. The short of it is he believes, in my case, the degenerative changes in the facets of my spine are the culprits.

It would seem during barometric pressure changes damaged joint becomes inflamed causing my pain.(degenerative arthritis flare ups.) Why does barometric pressure change cause flare ups? "Ahhh.. there's the great mystery. It just does." He said.

Am I buying it? I don't know. It's as good as any other answer I've gotten. All I know is it sure can kick me when I'm already down.

Ice and lots of Alieve added to my regular break through meds seem to work best for me during these weather patterns. These recent storms have really messing with me. Living in the Midwest doesn't help. Go Figure.
  • There are dozens of studies that have been done. It has to do with the barometric pressure. I had an ex-boyfriend who didn't believe me until I showed him some studies.

Here is one: http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/541437/?sc=sphp

• Just wondering how you are doing with your spinal cord stimulator? Have you had a reduction in pain?

Take care,
  • I don't have hardware but I feel the dampness from the rain today. Sometimes I'm getting like a sharp spasm in my back. Hopefully this rain eases up soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • 29.92Hg is the standard pressure at sea level. You go up (and this is where my 'pressure affects us' thoughts came from) to 18,000' and you are half that pressure. In other words, you are going from 14.7lbs per square inch on your body of pressure to half. With lessor 'external partial pressure' on your body, the air molecules expand. In the lower atmospheres, that equals to lower pressure, and as such allows for the atmosphere to carry more moisture - hence rain/snow/fog etc. Sorry, use to teach weather as part of my job.

Okay, now we move to joints, areas with hardware, inflammation etc. My theory as related to the atmosphere. When the pressure falls, expansion occurs and allows for more fluid in said area. Fluid for most of us equates to more pain and discomfort as liquid does not like to be compressed (the moving of a joint)and as such when we move, pressure is then transferred to the joint or outer tissue in an effect to adjust from lack of compression = pain and discomfort. Okay, that is my non-research, non-scientific theory. Have a great weekend all!!! :)

• Ah Brenda,
    You crack me up! I loved the explanation. You know I always said, if I could get a good explanation and diagnosis I would be that much closer to acceptance.

Now, To find the perfect place to live to avoid all this nonsense. (Not to imply your explanations are nonsense by any means. This pain, however is.)
  • Frog,

You're very Welcome! Pain is nonsense, and I too HATE it! Now where to move, hummm... might have to think real hard for that one! (EG) Remember, each place on earth has its consequences after all, no? *HUGZ*

This discussion has been closed.