Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

would love to hear from anyone that is recovering from thoracic discetomy done from the back

kaydkkayd Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:44 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am sched for thoracic discetomy on 7/7/10 and would love to hear from anyone who had this done...I see the surgeon tom and have a list of questions for him but would like to hear from someone who actually had this done.I have read lots from everyone who had the lumbar area done & I am wondering if it will be at all like what they are going through.I also have bulging disc L5-S1 that really seems to be getting worse ..having a hard time getting up from sitting esp. from the tiolet.Lots of pain radiating down my leg & pain in heal of foot.I am hopping being off with t spine surg will help the lower back settle down ..or is that just wishing too much??
Would like to know if you had this surg
How long & hard the recovery was?
How much of your pain did it take away?
What were your restrictions after surgery?

advertisement

Comments

• Hi I am suprised no one has written you and it is almost time for your surgery. Are you ready. What did the surgeon say?

I had the Surgery in 2000 I do not know how they do it now but it was a hard surgery. The results are amazing when it is done. Have them give you injections for the lumbar area. The thorasic surgery will not help at all. But being able to move more will help you. I was back at work in 6 weeks. Be prepared that is the most important part do not be afraid of pain medicine stay on top of it and do everything the doctors say. It really works

Take care
  • Sorry I missed your post. Most weekends I'm not on the computer and these past few weeks have been crazy for me.

You didn't say what level you are having done. I had T1/2 done about 6 months ago. They did the microD, laminectomy and forenatomy from the back. It was about a three hour surgery from lights out to wake up. I went home the next morning. Three days later I was off the narcs and driving to the supermarket.

I believe in PT so I had gone before and started back at about 2 weeks. As I said the post op pain was managable with Advil after day 3. Maybe an occasional pill at bedtime. It is achey but I find that if I know where the pain is coming from I can handle it. My incision was about 6 inches and healed quickly. I had alot of fluid buildup which the PT was able to massage away.

If you have any other questions let me know.