Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thinking of becoming pregnant

Darleen22DDarleen22 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Fibromyalgia
My husband and I are talking about starting a family. I have Fibromyalgia and a current bulging disc L5-S1. I had 2 back surgeries in 07 because my disc L4-L5 ruptured twice. I want to know if there is anyone here who has been pregnant with any or all these conditions. Was it hard, painful during the process of pregnancy. Could you take meds to help with the pain? what treatments worked and which didnt? and anything else you can think of that would give me and insite into what i might experiance.

I really appreciate the information.

thank you!

• Hubby and I have also decided to try to become pregnant, and I have a herniation between my L-5 and S-1 area (and Ive had a cervical fusion w/ "fake" discs put in at 2 C levels). I haven't run across anyone who became pregnant after having these issue.. but I'm still on the hunt for the same info. that you are! :)
  • I can give you my 2 cents.

Had 2 level PLIF, rods and screws for L2-L4. One year later became pregnant. Didn't need pain meds at that time.

My baby came 10 weeks early so I cannot tell you what, if any pain there was in the 8th and 9th month.

I took pre-natal yoga (highly recommend it) until the whole bed-rest stuff.

While pregnant your joints become looser in prep for the birth, its easy to overdo things because of this.

My biggest caution is really for AFTER the baby comes. This is really the hard part for your back. Ask any Mom how much lifting, bending, twisting in awkward ways happen each day. In and out of the crib, high chair, car seats,bathtub, carrying that dreaded baby car seat carrier. Well, you get the picture.

I'm not trying to scare you. But these movements you will be doing lots of, every day, for years. I needed another 2 level fusion this year. Ask for help whenever you can and try to always keep in mind to protect your backs.

Would I do it again? Absolutely. Good luck ladies,