Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Justin66JJustin66 Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Exercise and Rehab
Isn't it ironic that people with back problems have to listen to therapists or Dr.'s telling us how to manage our pain but they have no idea what our pain is like.

I just wanted to throw that out there.

• Just why would you make that general assumption? Just like most people don't know there is anything wrong with us you may not know what you doctor is experiencing in his life.

My PT went into the field after suffering numberous injuries as a hockey player in high school and college. From what I have heard he would have been a pro if he hadn't had the injuries. So while he has not had all the problems (no one could) he does know what pain is like and how it affects our lives.

Many of the PTs and students that I have met over the years have had personal or family experience with injury or disease pain. That's why they go through the incredible amount of school and training.

I will agree that it seems like the doctors don't appreciate what we live with but never assume that they don't know. Until you walk in a person's shoes you will never know them.
  • We've had different experiences.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    But I have had some excellent
    Physical Therapists because they themselves have been through some spinal problem and know first hand what it is all about!

Then there are other PT's who are in perfect shape, never had a problem, so sometimes its harder for them to relate. But even a PT like that who is really good, can see and almost feel what the patient is going through.

That is why I have always said, really check into the place where you are going for PT. Basically you interview them to see exactly what they can and do provide
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thats a good outlook on it. It could be I have just had a bad run of medical and therapy attention or lack of it.

I may have to get the names and numbers of your guys professionals ;).
  • I must be one of the lucky one sense my primary doctor had cervical ADR a year ago in November. Then my actual spine surgeon was in medical school and switched to spine surgery after being in a auto accident and needing surgery. So I consider myself lucky that they understand when i say it is nerve pain and it hurts. But I think everyone can say they have felt pain before some way or another. I really believe the doctors want to find your pain and help you because it is in their nature to help people out. Just my take, though.