Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lost Height

Mindymork62MMindymork62 Posts: 207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone,

I will be having lumbar surgery on June 29th, for a fusion at L3, L4, L5. I have a question about my height. My hubby and daughter measured me today and I was only 5'3". My normal height is 5'4 & 1/2". I've lost one and a half inches since November, 2009. Is this height permanently gone, or will my surgery help to regain some? I'll be having instrumentation also. I am 59 years young and have Osteopenia.

• Hi Mindy - I had the surgery you are about to have -- three level lumbar fusion. When I damaged my back, I had not only blown out the discs, but I had some spondy and scoliosis. I went from 5' 8" to 5'6". When they put the rods and screws in and then the dowels with the allograft, I think they straightened and jacked me up a bit. Last time I was measured, I was just slightly over 5'7". You may get a little height back, but probably not all of it.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I am a half inch taller since my single level fusion. Back to 5'7!! The best thing from my surgery! YAY
  • I grew an inch after my single level PLIF fusion! I don't know how I grew a whole inch as the cage isn't that big, but I did. :-)

Do let us know how much you grow :D
  • Between my 2 surgeries I gained back about an inch, still a shortie, though!
  • I'm still a shortie too; so every inch counts! :D
  • I was 6'5 before surgery .My wife said I am getting shorter ,I thought she was kidding
  • I was 5'6" so was totally shocked when the Dr. measured me at 5'4 1/2" - 15 months after surgery I am 5'5 & 1/2 " - so I'm taller than I was before surgery. I remember crying when the nurse told me I was only 5' 4 & 1/2 " - I wasn't prepared for that.
  • Hi,

Well I'm in mid-life phase of life, but with my first surgery ACDF and bone implant 3 levels my surgeon jokingly said "you're 2" taller now!"

Never really checked it out. In my peak-prime I was 5'7. Currently 5'5" and not having any reason for that other than possible mid-life changes (but knowing that wouldn't account for the 2") no one may age has lost but 1/2 to 1" the most...

My C-spine has degenerated and compressed, fused further since surgery and 5-6 more levels of degeneration C-spine and thoracic = the 2" loss for sure!

• Before all my back troubles, I was 6'2". At my last physical 2 months ago, I was 6' and a half inch. Somewhere out there is one and a half inches of me. I hope its pain free.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • I grew 1 inch after TLIF...Also my blood pressure is way down...107/75.....used to be around 125/86.....But now that I am up and around ....McDonnalds is looking good again...YIKES...